44. We The Forlorn

The abandoned settlement was more than they could have hoped for. There were houses made of mud bricks, big enough for all the Forlorn to be sheltered. A wall surrounded the settlement, and though it was damaged heavily in places, it wouldn't take them more than a few weeks to get them back up and secure. Overall, it was a place that could easily protect them and the others who would soon be joining them.

Bo and Adam waited until the Forlorn had settled in, and after a few days, they gathered everyone to announce their departure. At first, it was met with hostility, as the Forlorn balked against their leader leaving them when they were just on the edge of the truest push for freedom from the militia and the Terra Preservation's militarized grip.

"You can't just abandon us," Jasper, one of the Forlorn, said. "What ever happened to staying loyal to the cause? What ever happened to not leaving anyone behind?"

Horace, Jasper's friend, nodded his head. "Jasper's right. You brought us all together with the promise that we could be a part of something. Now you're saying that you don't believe in us anymore?"

Adam shook his head. "That's not what I'm saying at all—"

Even Helga looked angry. "What it sounds like you're saying is that you're leaving us to run off and find a place to hide while we fight."

Khan looked hurt more than angry, which gave Bo more pause than all the glares she got from everyone else. She could see it was affecting Adam as well. "Is Horace right? Do you not believe in us anymore? You're not sure we can defeat the militia?"

With that, the group broke into shouts and arguments, rising into a din that was almost deafening. Bo looked to Adam, fear in her eyes, wondering if this had all been a mistake. Perhaps they didn't deserve to leave the war behind, not when so many people were looking to them.

Adam lay a hand on her shoulder, his gaze confident and bolstering her. He turned to face the crowd and held up his hands, quieting them until he could speak.

"You have it completely wrong," he said. "I don't think you're going to fail, and it's not that I don't trust you. It's the utter opposite. The only reason I feel like I can leave is because I have seen the strength that you exhibited while I was gone. Khan and Helga were the sort of leaders I would trust my life to, and I know that they will take charge better than I ever could. They know what to do, and they'll lead you to victory." He drew in a slow breath. "I leave because I know that you are ready. I know that you can win. I know that I can trust you."

It was if the hostility slowly lifted, replaced with sadness. Tears flowed from the eyes of even grown men, and no one seemed able to look Adam in the eyes as they sniffled and shuffled their feet.

"This isn't a goodbye," Adam said. "I am only going to Bo's town, over by the Dead Woods. It's a day's hopper ride from here. That's nothing. If you need my advice, or you just want to visit, you can easily come."

"And we'll make sure to come visit here as well," Bo said. "We're not leaving you or abandoning you. We are just going back where we belong."

Khan drew in a shaking breath, but his jaw settled firmly and he squared his shoulders. "You've done more for the Forlorn than anyone, Adam. You saved people who hated you and kept the militia from destroying so many camps. You deserve this. And we won't hold you back."

Adam nodded, but Bo saw the tears in his eyes. He jerked forward, pulling Khan into a hug. The younger man held onto him as if this was the last time he was going to see him. But Bo knew it was because Adam had been the one to pull Khan away from the darkness. He had shown Khan that a noble man could be made from a villain, and a leader could be born from a broken heart.

"Take care of yourself, as well as the camp," Adam said, pulling back and patting Khan on the back.

"Of course. I wouldn't let you down."

"You couldn't even if you tried," Adam replied.

"And for heaven's sake," Bo said. "Marry Esme as soon as you can."

Khan blushed furiously, and Adam laughed.

Helga stepped forward then, and held out her hand for Adam to shake. Of course, she wasn't going to hug anyone.

"Thank you for saving me," she said, her voice catching though she did her best to hide it.

Adam smiled. "You did your own saving, Helga. You just needed a safe place to do it in."

Helga nodded, then moved on to Bo. She hesitated for a moment, then leaned in and wrapped her arms around Bo. "Thank you for giving me permission to be free of my old self," she whispered.

Bo patted her back, letting her tears fall into Helga's soft braid. "Don't ever think you need permission to be who you want to be," she said. "You're your own woman now, and don't let anyone take that from you."

Helga pulled back and took a shaking breath. She scowled and quickly turned on her heel, but Bo knew it was because she didn't want anyone to see the tears building in her eyes or the way her hands shook. Ever the tough warrior.

Then it was the rest of the Forlorn's turn to say goodbye. Some came in groups, shaking hands and thanking Adam for what he'd done. Mi said he'd make sure to give them hoppers to leave on, and thanked Bo for teaching him how to forgive. Esme cried as she related her gratitude for being rescued when Bo could have left her behind, and promised to invite Bo and Adam to any wedding that might take place. And then the last of the Forlorn moved past them, and Adam and Bo stood alone at the front of the crowd once again. Adam looked out on his people, and bowed his head in the light of the setting sun.

"Thank you for giving me a purpose when I was lost," he said.

As Bo looked out over the faces that watched them, she knew Adam was right about their chances. They were strong, they were determined. They could build a better place, and they didn't need Adam or Bo. They had been a place that centered Adam when he had no one, and they had been a place that brought Bo in when she was searching.

They were the Forlorn, who were not so forlorn anymore.