45. Home (FINAL)

Bo grabbed Adam's hand as they stared at the tall walls of her town. The floodlights spilled over the orange dust, so bright that it turned everything blue and white. Bo and Adam stood just outside their boundary, unseen by the men and women patrolling on the top. From the amount of guns and sentries, Bo was certain news of the militia had not come yet. She'd have to tell Ana sometime later. But for now, she was busy enough fighting down the nausea that boiled in her stomach. And judging from Adam's shaking hand, he was just as nervous as her.

"You don't think they'll still hate me," he said. It wasn't a question, more a statement that he wanted her to confirm for him.

Bo took a breath. "They won't hate you. They're not desperate anymore." As she said it, she realized how true it was. "Before, they were fighting to survive. The past threatened to eat them alive, and they couldn't stand to think of an alien being even on the same planet as them. But now, we're safe. They're well-fed and have sturdy homes. They've learned to be compassionate and give to others."

"I just don't want to cause any trouble for you," he said, looking down at her. He was barely visible in the dark, but she saw the worry in his eyes.

"I would go to all the trouble in the world for you, so don't even think about using that as an excuse," she said. "You're mine and I'm not giving you up again. You're coming with me into that town, and you're coming with me to my house, and we're getting married and living together forever. Got it?"

Adam nodded silently.

Bo smiled, pulling him in a for quick kiss. "Don't look so scared. You're the leader of the Forlorn. This should be nothing to you."

Adam sighed. "It feels worse than facing the entire Terra Preservation army."

"Don't be silly. It'll be over in a minute."

They grabbed their hoppers, parked a few feet away, and rolled them into the light. A moment later, the voice of someone over the loudspeaker broke through the night.

"Stay put! We're sending out someone to identify you!"

Bo waited, glad that Ana had put in place a system to allow in outsiders, until a small group of armed men and women approached them. Bo recognized them immediately, and smiled as they came into view. It took them a few seconds longer to realize that the stranger was their leader, but when they did they burst into laughter and talking. They ambushed her with slaps on the back, handshakes, hugs.

"We thought you'd never get back!" one of the men, Jack, said. He grinned as he slung his gun over his shoulder.

"Ana's been such a task masker," Jill said. "We're so glad you're back. Maybe you can tell her to lay off the constant drills."

Bo laughed. "She can stay in charge for a few more weeks. I'm beat and I'm going to stay in my house and sleep all day."

Jack motioned toward the gate. "Come on, let's get inside. Everyone will want to know you're back," he said.

"Don't wake up everyone in the town," Bo cut in. "I'd like to get some rest before I officially am back."

Jack nodded. "Understood."

"Can we alert Ana and your father?"

Bo nodded. "Of course."

They walked across the length to the wall, and into the town. Jack broke off to fetch Ana over to Bo's house, while Bo walked with the small party that had greeted them.