Chapter 21

You look at Esther confused. She then laughs. "I was joking. Emperor Mohned would have my head if he heard that." You laugh along nervously. If she didn't say anything you would of said no. Not because you wanted to stay but because you didn't know who to trust. "Well that concludes tonight's lesson. I will see you tomorrow." She says walking back to her room. You were left with your thoughts. Was escape even possible. If you failed then who knows what will happen. You walk back to your shared room. Arte wasn't there yet so you took this as your opportunity to get dressed and sleep.

Back in Vols...

Cedric had become fond of Arity enough that she became his adoptive daughter. Risky it was since she was a runaway but who knows. Arity told him that she escaped shortly after Arte took an interest in F/n. Since Arity never did anything that stood out to Arte, there was a doubt that he would recognize her. The two were having tea together. The tension was still on high. The debates involving Roan were getting more and more heated. As much as Cedric did wish for your freedom genuinely, you would be a valuable person in the war. If he was to have in his custody, he would have a great advantage. 

He hoped Esther would be able to drop in hints and figure out your loyalty while she was in Roan. A difficult job it must be for her. Keeping secrets and spying on a man who is very dangerous. He knew Esther's mother and her and learned of her family situation. One might say he even has a small crush on her. As much as he disliked it, he had to request that she apply as a tutor since she was one of the few who fit the requirements and would not betray his loyalty.

In Roan...

Arte had just gotten back from a meeting. His council was telling him that he had to travel to the town of Signus. Signus was a town near the border. He wanted you to come with him but the problem with this is that the borders there are lax. Signus was one of the few towns who did not approve of slavery. Arte would of taken care of this earlier had the town actually went out of their way to free them, but they didn't. Instead if a slave was successful enough to escape they wouldn't stop it. Besides, Signus was a mecca of trade. An important pillar of the economy. He could always keep guards near you but then you would be near men. Also if you did escape while he wasn't present, they might touch you in an effort to bring you back. He didn't like either of these. Keeping you here seemed like the best option but you would be separated. 

As he enters the room, he sees that you are sleeping. Once he finishes getting dressed, he gets closer only to notice you are shivering and tears falling down your cheek. He observes you and is about to wake you when you scream and jolt up. Arte hugs you and tries comforting as you cry. He hears you mumbling words like "Dad. I miss you." or "Come back. Don't leave me alone." This much was enough to tell him that you missed your father. 

When you finally relax and fall asleep once more, he looks at you and gently pushes back the hair clinging to your forehead. Blood. Murder. Death. All of this Arte was used to. All of this was things he knew and at one point, that was all he knew. You were so different from him. You had a close relationship to your dad. You grew up in a loving family. Even if your childhood was a hard one, it was happy. Whenever he sees you, he sees all things he desires and what he could never be. You were scared at times but you were getting used to him. He hopes it is signs that you are trying to understand him and get along. Gently he whispers.

"For you. I will try to be a man you won't fear." he soon lies down in bed and holds you close sleeping peacefully. Something he hasn't done in years.