Chapter 26: Sydney

After a long day out with Reid, Sydney was grateful when the humble home that brought her comfort came into view. It wasn't because of the clay brick exterior or lengthy fields around it that touched her heart, but the people inside of it.

She smiled at the thought of what Casey said yesterday, right before dinner. "...however long she wants to stay, she can."

He wasn't even aware she was listening, and he still said what he said. Sydney wondered what she did to warrant such hospitality, and she told herself never to take it for granted.

As she opened the front door, the bold aroma of dinner made her mouth water.

Mmmmm, that smells so good.

"Finally," someone said.

Her eyes instantly landed on the source. It was Casey.

"Oh, um, were you all waiting for me?" she asked awkwardly.

"Noah and I weren't, dear, but Casey sure was!" Elena answered from the stove, gaining her a glare from her older son.

"I was just worried you might have gotten lost," he said, clearing his throat.

"I almost did."

He nodded with a crooked grin, but she felt like something else was on his mind.

"Okay, let's eat!" Elena cheered.

As they ate dinner, Sydney smiled at the way Noah blew his food to cool it off. Deciding to start conversation, she swallowed the spoonful of stew she had in her mouth so she could speak.

"This tastes amazing, Elena."

"Thank you, dear," she said, beaming. "Y'know, Casey caught the deer in this just this morning. He carried it all the way back here and everything."

Sydney's eyes widened subtly as she looked down at her half-full bowl before they flicked to Casey as he spoke.

"It was a buck, but they're basically the same thing. It's just, bucks are much bigger than deer," he pointed out.

Wow.

"That sounds cool. Maybe you'll bring back another and I can see it," she said, showing interest.

Casey just nodded his head and went back to eating, so she did the same.

After dinner, Sydney helped Elena clean up while Casey tended to Noah. She admired the way Elena took care of her sons, and the way she always did it with a smile.

"Sydney, dear, I have a question for you," Elena said.

Sydney looked up at her, acknowledging that she heard her.

"Are you comfortable here? With us?" she asked, leaning against the table.

Worry laced Sydney's face.

"Of course I am. Have I not made that evident?" she asked.

"Well, you certainly have seemed more...at peace the last day or two, but I was just checking," Elena said. "I guess what I really want to know is if you feel comfortable with my son."

Casey?

"Elena, I truly trust you all. I know initially I was very hesitant, but that was not because of any of you," Sydney assured.

You can't change the fact that I'm an Easterner.

"I had some...conditioned thoughts that, thankfully, you've shown me were unfounded. I'm sorry about that," she added, hoping it wouldn't raise suspicion, but also feeling obligated to apologize for her misjudgements.