III. THE TURN OF THE SCREW

❝THE MORE I SEE IN IT, THE MORE I FEAR

❝THE MORE I SEE IN IT, THE MORE I FEAR.❞
-HENRY JAMES, THE TURN OF THE SCREW (1898)

          "JUST FOCUS ON my finger, alright?"

          Faye's eyes stayed trained on the doctor's index finger as he shone a small flashlight side-to-side in front of her face. It was said that this was to determine whether or not she had a concussion, to which she was positive that she didn't. She didn't remember hitting her head... but a concussion might have been the reason why when she really thought about it...

          "Is she alright?" Her father asked the doctor.

          "She'll be fine," The doctor switched off the flashlight and dropped his finger before striding towards her parents. "But the wound on her shoulder is... concerning. Test results came back from the markings and what's odd about them is that they don't appear to match any animals in the area nor are they precise enough to be the result of a weapon of some sorts. That, and there's no distinguishable DNA left on the wound at all!"

          "So what are you saying?" Her mother responded.

          "I'm saying that we don't know what could've made that incision in her skin." The doctor sighed. "We're doing the best we can to understand it, but there's nothing we can do at this moment. I'm very sorry."

          Faye's parents didn't seem to be pleased with the sound of his half-assed apology but didn't really put up much of a fight afterward. The girl saw the doctor begin to tell hem about other matters, only she felt obligated to stray from listening to that conversation. Something about bills and payments along with other medical terminology that she didn't understand; that was all she got out of that one minute she had decided to listen to.

          Faye sat on the examination table in the cold aura of the hospital where she had been stationed for the past few hours. People were coming in and out, trying to talk to her and ask her about what had happened to her, but the words were lost in Faye's thoughts as her parents pushed them out the door, saying that she needed to rest. But Faye couldn't rest. Hell, she could barely keep her eyes closed without seeing something gut-wrenching before forgetting what she was so scared of. It was a cycle of endless fear, only to be taken away in an instant.

          Her fingers were cold, shaking, even. She used the blanket wrapped around her shoulders to warm them up and keep the shaking at bay.

          Why are they like this? Faye asked herself.

          She whimpered a bit at the feeling of her fingers becoming numb, even though the room was filled with heat to block out the cold air trying to bash its way in from the outside. faye heard the rain from earlier subside hours ago, but when looking out, she saw the aftermath still lingering in the night-turning-day sky. The sky became lighter, but the clouds remained, bringing forth a bone-chilling atmosphere that only pushed Faye's unease further.