CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Fairy Wings

Timber's science fair project was a huge hit after she successfully sent her balloon rockets speeding across the gym in a race. Both Timber and Xianna were pleased to find out that Diana had failed her project which was just saying how to find the right shoes. Timber cracked up laughing as she listened to her attempt to create a scientific reason why "ugly girls shouldn't wear pretty shoes". Xianna's project had come out conclusive and it made all five girls decide to cut back on their soda intake, though they refused to give it up altogether. Gina got the best score of all the fifth-grade class with her project demonstrating how flame colors can change depending on the temperature and the chemical that was burning. Flushed with success, the girls went to Timber's house in celebration.

Grace put out bat and ghost shaped cinnamon cookies and spiced apple cider in coffee mugs as the girls made plans for Halloween. They were gathered around the coffee table in the living room with Mickey's House of Villains on the TV. The girls were only half watching as they were engaged in extremely important discussion.

"I want to be a unicorn," said Xianna with a gleeful grin.

"Where are you going to get a unicorn costume?" asked Timber.

"Spunky Skunk," said Xianna. "I found a unicorn headband last weekend. I just need that and a rainbow-colored tutu."

"What are you going as, Timber?" asked Gina.

"Emily wants me to be a ladybug because that's what she wants to be and I can't decide," said Timber. "I have no objections."

"Ooh, ladybug wings and red tutu!" said Xianna hopefully.

"What is it with you and tutus?" asked Kendra.

"What? I think they're cute," said Xianna with an unapologetic shrug.

"I agree with Xianna," said Ashley. "I think we should all wear a costume with a tutu."

"Can we vote on this?" asked Kendra who was clearly opposed to the idea.

"Sure," said Timber. "All in favor of wearing tutus with our costumes?"

Xianna, Timber, Ashley, and Gina raised their hands. Kendra folded her arms and sighed in defeat.

"Fine, but it's going to be black," she said.

"I love this song!" said Xianna suddenly.

When Grace passed by, all five girls were jumping around the living room with their hands waving in the air. They were all singing to the radio and smiling. Grace took her phone out and snapped a photo without them seeing and went back to the kitchen. After the series of songs was over and the radio played commercials, they sat down laughing.

"That was fun," said Timber. "What were we talking about again?"

"Kendra's Halloween costume. What were you going to be?" asked Ashley.

"A vampire," said Kendra. Timber's teeth clenched though she didn't know why. "I guess I'll just be in a cape and teeth then."

"And the tutu," said Xianna, and Kendra rolled her eyes.

"A tutu will look super cute with my fairy wings," said Gina.

"I'm going to be a football fairy," said Ashley.

"What's a football fairy?" asked Kendra.

"I don't know," said Ashley, "but my brother is going to let me borrow his purple football jersey."

"Do you have wings?" asked Timber.

"No, but I don't want wings," said Ashley. "I have a sparkling headband with wiggling stars on it."