38

Adora

Things were becoming more obvious with each day. I was undeniably growing more worried.

What was happening to me? I'd driven myself damn near crazy trying to find the answer.

I'd spent a day talking with Santiago King and found that there's a much softer side to him. That surprisingly, he's not always so angry.

I enjoyed that softer side.

For the past week, I'd craved his touch more than I'd craved any food. All I wanted was to see him, was to even touch him for a split second.

Feelings were becoming obvious. I was hesitant to admit it, solely because I knew he didn't feel the same. He couldn't.

I sat outside his house, contemplating going inside. I wanted to see him, but I knew my feelings would grow more intense.

I finally opened my door, stepping out of my car. I grabbed my purse and closed my door, slowly walking towards the house.

You could call in sick.

I twisted the door handle and opened the door. I ducked as soon as I saw a ball flying at my face.

I looked behind me as soon as I stood, making sure my window was still intact.

"Hey, you have to watch where you're throwing that, Papí!" Freddy yelled, "you almost hit Addy!"

Santiago looked at me, an eyebrow lifted. "You good?"

I stepped inside, closing the door behind me. "Yeah, I'm fine. I mean, it didn't hit me, so you're safe."

He nodded, gripping his hips. "Damn. Trying to match the staminas of two five year olds is quite the challenge."

"You want to play with us, mi amor?" The boys rolled their little baseballs around in their hands, making me smile and shrug out of my jacket.

"I would love to, but I'm not athletically inclined."

Santiago threw his baseball in the air, catching it with ease. "That's true. You do get tired easily."

My eyes went round at his statement and he shot me a wink, making me roll my sleeves up. "Actually, I will play."

A small smile playing on his face, he shrugged and threw a ball at me. I caught it and he chuckled, hanging his head.

"Me and Addy are on a team!" Josiah yelled, pushing past Freddy to run to me.

I boosted him up into my arms and Santiago knelt down to Freddy's height, whispering something in his ear.

"We're going to beat them, okay?" I whispered, making Josiah smile and nod. He jumped down from my arms and Santiago leaned his head back, grinning at me.

My breath hitched in my throat at the sight, but the feeling was quickly brushed off.

Freddy threw the ball to Josiah, and Josiah threw it up to me. I threw it at Santiago, but he didn't catch it, mostly because I didn't aim at his glove.

He let out a loud grunt, throwing a hand over his manhood. I threw my hand over my mouth, my lips parted.

"We definitely won, Addy!" Josiah giggled out, making a crooked smile form on my face as Santiago looked at me. He braced his hands on his knees, taking deep breaths.

"G-game's over," he said, "how about everyone wins?"

He gave the boys weak high-fives and they ran into their rooms, making me laugh. "Are you okay?"