Chapter 28: The Captain of the Pirate City

The woman at my back frowned as she stared at my face through the mirror. She probably couldn't believe that she needed to fix a mess like me. She might be even wondering why someone like me would be invited to breakfast by the Captain of the Pirate City. I returned her stare with my look of boredom to show her that the event did not interest me at all.

"Are you working in the kitchen of the Obsidian? How could you look tired in the morning as early as this?" She asked.

I didn't want to be affected by her insult. I just stared sleepily at the mirror thinking if I should just close my eyes and sleep at that moment. But I knew that I still need to be careful. I was in one of the huge bathrooms in the grand vessel surrounded by pirates who wanted to kill me. I shouldn't let my guard down.

"Why do I have to look nice when I am only going to have breakfast and sleep again when I get back?" I asked her instead.

A smirk curved on her lips as she combed my hair. "I don't think you can just go back to sleep after breakfast. I told you that it's going to be a beautiful morning and I assure you that it's going to be a long day," she promised.

I scrutinized her through the mirror. I doubted that everything she said was true. I remained silent as I let her smoothen the knots on my hair. I gasped when she started pulling at the clothes I was wearing.

"Wait! What are you doing?" I asked, shocked when I saw my bare shoulders through the mirror.

"You're not thinking of joining the Captain for breakfast wearing that rug, are you?" She responded.

"Well, I –"

I wasn't able to continue what I was about to say because she was already pulling my clothes down, together with the trousers Erasmus gave me. I stared, blushing, at my naked body through the mirror and watched her as she tossed my clothes at the corner. My hands immediately covered my private parts when she turned her eyes back to me.

"I don't know where the Obsidian found you but you're surely a gem. Maybe, that's what Captain Rowaen sees in you," she remarked, smiling.

I didn't know if I should thank her because suddenly, she was praising my body like she didn't call me a tired kitchen maid a while ago. Or maybe, I should respond rudely to her because there were only very few people who took care and saw my body at the East land – well, there's one in the Obsidian – and that she should be honored for she was able to see the nakedness of the daughter of the East Family. It took decades for the women in our castle to be trusted with our health and appearances. But then, it didn't matter now. All she could see was a Jonah who caught the attention of her master.

"Uh, thank you?" I said, unsure of what I should say.

She ushered me towards the large bathtub at the corner and I silently sank my body into it. I sighed as I felt the warm water against my skin, smelled the fragrance of the perfume and the flowers floating on the water just above my body. It had been awhile since my skin received such wonderful treatment and as much as possible, I wanted to enjoy it.