52. STEVE: Bad Dreams & Grilled Cheese

Words: 4.5K

A/N: I just wanted to take a second to thank all of you that have been reading, commenting, and voting! My day is always made by the sweet and thoughtful things you all have to say in the comments! Thank you so much! You inspire me to keep posting :)

As always, if anyone has anything they'd like to request or see, just let me know!

"Y/N—Y/N, what the hell is going on?"

You can hear Steve's voice crackling through your head from the communication device in your ear. Panic rises up in your chest as you frantically start pressing on touch screen buttons and dials of the glowing screens all around you. It's your job as the techie on the Avengers to always be on the other side of the line and give directions. Your main task is organizing everyone and keeping them all alive—also gathering intel when they can't afford to waste their time doing that sort of thing. That's what you're good at: especially when it comes to keeping your friends safe and alive. But this mission, well, it's a lot harder. It's been chaos from the start. Now you're struggling to keep up with all of the moving pieces as the marks on your electronic map of the city are going in different, unplanned directions. The raid that was supposed to be a surprise was expected by the enemy. Now you're being called on to give everyone the fastest, safest way out of the city.

Steve Rogers seems to be trapped.

"Give me a minute, Steve." The anxiety is palpable through your voice. Furiously you struggle to keep up with what he's saying in one ear and Nat in the other.

"...Outnumbered here, Y/N. I can't last much longer..."

"Just—just hold on!"

"Hurry!" Steve yells. You flinch at his voice combined with the rapid gunfire. It's so loud and real...

You come to the startling realization that you're hearing the gunshots right outside your van. You pop up out of your seat and rush to the window—peeking out through the tinted glass enough to where you can get a view of what's going on. Hidden away by the darkness the Hydra agents don't spot you in the shadows. They're too occupied by chasing Captain America as he goes running down the street. Your heart clenches as you watch him struggle to reload his gun.

"Get me out of here, Y/N!"

"I—I don't know how! There's just, there's so much..."

"This is your job! Figure it out!" Steve snaps.

Your fingers shake. You can't seem to work your brain fast enough to come up with a solution to save all of your team. They're all depending on you, but you can hardly think straight.

"Y/N, please help—" when it sounds like Steve's going to say more he's suddenly cut off by a loud grunt.

"Steve?" you reply with his name. At his lack of response you pop up again to stare out that same window from before.

"No."

Your little whimper is but a whisper that hardly anyone hears. Your hands move to cover your mouth as you stare out at what looks to be Captain America's limp body lying on the street. There's no movement from him as the Hydra agents pepper his body with dozens more bullets. You watch as the dark red blood seeps out of his still-warm corpse from across the block.

"No, no, no..." the word leaves your mouth in a helpless chant. You quickly stumble out of the van—not even caring if you get shot or killed or captured on your way towards Steve.

By the time you've reached him the Hydra agents are already dispersed: content to have killed Captain America after so many decades of trying.

"S-s-t-teve?" you try to stutter his name. Onto your knees you fall to the ground beside him. Your shivering hands find the sides of his face now smothered in blood. A strangled sob slips from your lips. "Steve, Steve please... please, no. Please—please don't be gone. P-please..." Tears stream down your face and splatter along his pale, gaunt cheeks but you can't feel them. All you can feel is the hot blood pooling under your knees and running between your fingers. "Please, Steve. I love you—I love you, please don't leave me." You cradle his head into your lap and hold him against you. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry I did this to you..." You shut your eyes until all you can see are stars flashing behind your eyelids.