All is Well

(Samuel's POV)

It was the screaming voice in my head which woke me up. Danger!

My eyes snapped open as violently as if somebody had pried them open. I cursed trying to hold to the glimpses of a dream that reminded me of how it had been once. And now that the awareness seeped in, nothing awaited me but the dread of welcoming a black day.

But, it was no longer all black. There was some consolation that I could at least see colors. My life had turned into a colored black canvas. Within seconds I realized something was wrong. Diana was no longer with me in bed. Her side of the bed was not yet cold, but her scent was rapidly evaporating. I reached for her to come up empty. The room, I noticed with dread, was surrounded by that malevolent black carried by the shadows. Sweat trickled down my chest when I spotted her violet core slowly approaching the sucking blackness. It was like the beauty meeting the beast. The blackness was restless, uneasy, expectant. She took one step and then another. Her movements were slow, robotic.

Within seconds of realizing where she was heading, I was on my feet. I toppled over the bed sheets, finding myself on the floor just when the world was about to collapse. Damn this blindness!

"Diana!" I got rid of the tangled sheets and got to my feet.

She didn't hear me. She didn't react. It was all happening in slow motion around me. The sound of curtains sliding on the rod. The sound of the window handle turning. Swirls of blackness dancing in excitement. The dance of death, vengeance, doom.

The blackness was laughing. Shit! I could tap into its emotions, its jubilation. It was celebrating. If the shadows got in, I wouldn't be able to save her. Heck, I doubted I could save myself. We both needed to survive, we needed to get out of this reality and save ours.

I literally jumped in the air, my hand reaching for hers, for the handle just before she did something irreversible. The window shook with the force of the crash that landed me there. I had probably bruised her fingers. But, she acted unfazed, her fingers still trying to shift the handle.

What was the blackness doing to her? It was as if she was held under its hypnotic influence.

"Diana, wake up!" I shook her. My hands roamed over her face until they reached her eyes. Wide open. Not blinking. "What in the blazes is happening to you?"

She stood still. And then hugged me, putting her head on my chest. She sighed happily. I heard her soft breathing, rhythmic, relaxed. I touched her face once more. Her eyelids were closed. She was now sleeping hugging me like that.

I closed the curtains back again. The blackness roared in anger. Its madness, fury surged forth. I ignored it. The sounds dimmed and then disappeared as if they fed on attention. I lifted her in my arms, getting us both out of its reach. I threw her into bed. I wrapped one arm around her body, making sure she would not move again. What had happened today should not ever be repeated. What had they done to her? What hold did they have on her? I needed to break it.

What a night! I had not slept much and I doubted I now would. I'd tried putting some distance between us, the little seductress with her blazing fiery red colors had done nothing but tempt me. I wanted to bury myself in her softness. The fact that I didn't was a miracle. I didn't want to be starting something when I wasn't sure of my role in this reality. But, who knew colors could be so sexy?

When the first lights of dawn streamed through the curtains, I finally loosened my hold over her. Damn, it had been a very uncomfortable night. I needed a shower. A cold one! Her cute little butt had wiggled all night, her hands had caressed my arms in her sleep. And, then there were those sweet sighs, which kept covering her in radiant glows of red, fiery, sizzling hot flaming reds. What was she dreaming of? Or should I say who? Screw this reality! Screw the shadows! I'd been very close to waking her up and easing my discomfort in her body. A man could only be tempted this much without breaking.