I. first of many

—E V A N A  J A M E S

E V A N A  J A M E S

Altruism. I enjoyed it. The idea of doing something for someone without any recognition of a prize or something in return, just being good.  I enjoyed it immensely. I loved helping people, I'm unaware if it's because of my magical ability to be a balance in nature and help others, or if it simply just myself, but whatever it is, I am thankful for it.

My magic has given me a heightened access to The Other Side, unfortunately that came with its many consequences.

The dreams started a few nights ago, I would wake up in a yellow flower field, with a crystal blue lake and a thin forestation. Every night I would find the same floppy, brown haired man with the gorgeous brown eyes and every night he would ignore me; he would look straight through me as if I weren't there.

He never acknowledged me, not even a glimpse in my direction which lead me to believe he just couldn't see me in this strange dream world, I was merely an outsider. Which was why I was so incredibly confused by the loose hand around my neck and my back shoved up against a tree with crumpled yellow flowers by my feet. The brown haired man stood there, holding my throat in a controlling grip and a menacing expression.

"Who are you?" He demanded with a clear English accented voice.

Apparently my momentary hesitation was too long for him as he tried to tighten the grip around my neck but failed. He tried again, "Who are you?"

I gulped for air, "Evana," I said my name and he froze momentarily too, something unknown flashing through his eyes. After the moment was over he released my throat from his hold, letting me hunch over and cough from the sudden air to my lungs. He took a step back as I stood up to my full height of 5'5.

"How did you get here?" He asked slowly, he didn't sound deadly but there was definitely an underlying tone.

"I don't know, I've been falling asleep and waking up here all week, this is the first time you've actually seen me though." I explained quickly, all my words rushing out in a flourish of gibberish.

"But no one's supposed to be here." He stressed, his brows scrunching together in what I decided must have been frustration or worry.

"Why not? Why is it just us?" I interrogated him but he held a hand up to silence me.

He snapped at me suddenly, "Because this is where I am trapped and have been so for a century." I felt the breath stick in my throat for an unknown reason. "It is my own personal hell to which no one can enter, so I will repeat my question; how did you get here?"

"I don't know, like I said, I just wake up here." I explained once again as his brain seemed to be working a little slowly today. He groaned in frustration, running a hand over his face before looking to me once again.

"You're a witch." He stated calmly and I recalled the times I had seen him shooting about this place with abnormal speeds, he wasn't human either. But still, I nodded.

It was silent between us, no noise at all in the abyss of yellow flowers and blue waters, until I broke it. "What's your name?" I spoke gently, not wanting to frustrate him more than he already was.

But instead of being frustrated like I expected, he looked appalled, absolutely offended that I hadn't recognised him the moment I saw him but in truth, I had no idea. "You don't know who I am?" He spoke cockily making me narrow my eyes a little, I never enjoyed that type of trait. I shook my head still trying to get an answer out of him and finally he cracked. "Kol."

He left his surname unknown to me but I continued my interrogation, "And what are you, Kol?"

He let a smirk cover his lips and brought his arms out from his sides, twirling about and looking a bit insane. "I'm an Original." But his cocky smirk left his face when I continued to watch him blankly, Having no idea about what he was speaking of. He sighed like he was disappointed and elaborated, "I'm a vampire, one of the first vampires created in this world."

The way he said it didn't match his exterior. He didn't sound cocky or egotistical or even proud of what he was, he simply stated it with a sad hint to his words, like he'd rather be something else.

"What did you mean when you said this is your personal hell?" I inquired, there was too many weird things going on at the moment to spare any questions.

His jaw clenched and his eyes squinted into a subtle glare at the ground. "Nothing." He snapped at me making me sigh, I tried my luck again.

"Why are you here?"

He smirked at me snidely, "You ask a lot of questions."

"And you're answering none, so tell me." I finally snapped, I had no idea why I was here, and clearly neither did he.

His face all of a sudden changed from one of snide to one of wonder. A mischievous glint shone in his dark brown eyes but there was a slight flash of hope that crossed his face, leaving quick as it came but I caught it. My eyebrow twitched with curiosity.

"That doesn't matter now. I just need to know something." He smirked at me, like he knew how everything in my life would plan out.

"What?" I asked exasperated.

"Do you know anyone by the name of Klaus?"

I froze at the mention of the monster's name. "Yes."

Kol smirked. "Fantastic."

"Why'd you need to know?" I interrogated, he wasn't letting on anything.

"You'll find out soon enough." He kept the pretentious smirk on his face.

"What's that supposed to me-?" I was cut off by a sharp pain in my chest, some higher force telling me it was time to wake up.

Kol frowned, "What's happening?" He demanded, looking up and down at my vanishing body.

"It's time to go." Was all I said before I disappeared, floating in the lost space of a dark abyss before I woke up in my reality.

I shot up in bed, glancing around the room, half expecting to see Kol again when my eyes opened, but I didn't, He wasn't there.

Holy shit it's starting

—Holy shit it's starting