Chapter 22

When you woke up, Arte was staring at you smiling. You felt awkward and tried turning away but hugged you tightly.

"Good morning F/n." he says breathing in your hair.

"Morning." you stayed in bed for a bit before he finally got up. As he was getting dressed he turned to you.

"I will need to leave to take care of business outside of the capital. You will be left alone for the time being. I will be back in a weeks time."

"Where are you going?"

"Signus."

"That isn't too far. Can I come along?" you knew that Signus wouldn't prevent you from escaping."

"As much as I want you to, I can't allow it. You will stay here until further notice."

"I understand." you were a bit upset that you wouldn't be able to go but his absence would provide some leeway for your escape. Everyone in the castle knew you were his "lover." Who was going to deny you access to things when he was gone. You look at Arte would a sad face. "Are you sure I still can't come along?"

"The things that will need to be discussed are rather important. I fear I will be leaving you alone with strange men. I feel much more better if you were to stay here."

"I see." you say thoughtfully. "I hope you have a safe trip." you say with a smile. Arte hugs you. Within the next few days, Arte leaves for Signus. As for you, you are preparing your departure. You studied the layout of the capital and decided to leave through the path of the trade caravans. As you think to what you need, you find a maid.

You ask. "Bring me scissors and durable clothes." the maid nods and walks off. When you are given the items you requested, you pack them in a bag along with a sack of gold coins and head to the front of the castle. Two guards stop you.

"I am sorry Miss." one says to you. "You aren't permitted to leave the premise. Emperor's orders."

"You two will let me leave." you stare at the men. "Or what should I tell Arte?" the way you spoke was threatening and you felt guilty but you had no choice. The guards look at one another and then turn to you.

"Very well. But we will chaperone you. For your safety."

"Very well." Shaking off the guards would be difficult but you had no choice. When you arrive at town, you see people getting auctioned off. You turn away. This was something you wouldn't be able to change even if you tried. And when you did, Arte prevented you from even talking about solutions for it. Soon you see your opportunity. Men were getting into a brawl and soon it was gathering a large crowd. You run into the crowd and the guards follow you. Since the crowd is big, you manage to slip away and run into a deserted alley.

You quickly change and start cutting your hair to make it short. You dispose of the clothes and wait to see where the guards are. When you see that they are frantically looking for you, you start running to the trading caravans.

"Let me go with you." you say to one of the traders.

"I don't take freeloaders." the man says. 

"Who said anything about free." you show him the bag of gold. The trader looks at you.

"...Don't make yourself a nuisance." You follow the trader and his group. As for the guards. When they realize you were no longer in the capital, they head back to the castle, writing frantic letters of your escape to Arte. Afterwards, the men flee. After all, they let their Emperor's prize possession escape their grasps.