I

(This story is told from Jade's POV.)

FADED

The early bird gets the worm. I loved mornings, I even looked forward to that daily hour I have all to myself. A moment of quietness, calmness and serenity before the rest of the herd woke up.

My name is Jade. I never really liked my name - too simple, too obvious. It wouldn't surprise me if my mom was drunk when she gave birth to me somewhere in those dirty bathroom stalls at the back of a random gas station. She probably took one look at my green eyes and had the epiphany of calling me Jade. Why not Emilia or Juliette or even Lola - you know, something pretty. But then again, it could've been worse, what if she called me Emerald or something. Yikes.

Oh, well. Can't have everything you want in life. I've learned that the hard way.

My bare feet were so cold, almost numb, as I walked on the icy floor of the kitchen. I could still feel some crumbs stick to my soles from our dinner yesterday. Ashton, or Ash as he liked to be called, was supposed to clean the kitchen last night but he sneaked off after midnight. That's usually what Ash does, running away from his responsibilities, from this life. Can't really blame him. He would always climb through my bedroom window because mine was right on top of the roof, giving him the perfect escape. You're probably thinking, why isn't he using the front door? Well, that's because my oldest brother, Jordan, has the senses of a dog - he could hear if you were lying or not and could smell trouble from a mile away. And anyone knows that if you get caught by Jordan Alexander Moore, you'll regret every decision you ever made. Jordan was frightening, everything about him screams authority. He had this obey-me-or-else-aura about him, no wonder he became a cop, he probably was destined to be one.

I decided to make some pancakes, Noah's favorite. He helped me with my homework a lot this week and thanks to him I got an A for math. Noah and I were often treated as the babies in the family. He and I would be mistaken for twins if it weren't for his ridiculously good looks and high IQ - I'd like to think of myself as plain looking and smart enough to know the difference between your and you're.

Noah is the good boy but then we have Tristan who is the funny one. I swear, he looks like a grown man but acts more like a pubescent boy. I like it though, I like him being playful and teasing our brothers. He winks a lot, that was his trademark. He also had girls falling at his feet and he liked to pick them up and do stuff with them I'd rather not talk about. A real lady's man some would say or you know, a man slut. A very funny man slut.

I was mixing the batter for the pancakes when I heard a tap on the backdoor. I sighed as I wiped my hands on a dirty dishtowel which I'm pretty sure was one of my brother's old t-shirts, I caught the print of a dude with way too much white make up and a long tongue sticking out - probably Kiss.