Chapter 27: Casey

What was that?!

Casey's eyes kept switching from the dead rabbit, fifteen meters away, to the woman who killed it. She looked as if she didn't understand what happened, but he knew she had to; she was the one who did it.

"Sydney, what the...you just...How?!" he stuttered out.

She jerked her head in his direction, her braid swaying from the motion, but Casey noticed the clouded look in her eyes.

"What is it?" he asked, concerned.

He watched as she stood still for a moment more before shaking her head.

"Nothing. I just kind of zoned out," she said, nervously tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

"Zoned out?" Casey scoffed. "It looks to me like you zoned in!"

He jogged over to the rabbit, just to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him. Sure enough, there was a blade going straight through the neck of the animal. He turned to Sydney, who was slowly approaching with one arm wrapped around her torso, and the other rubbing her temple.

Why does she seem so out of it?

"Okay, what's going on with you? And don't even think about saying 'nothing' again," he said assertively.

"If I told you the truth, I'd have to talk about home. And I just-"

Her voice cracked, and Casey fought the urge to hug her. They were just becoming friends, and he didn't want to make things awkward when Sydney was finally starting to open up.

"Then don't. At least not until you want to," he said, turning back to the rabbit.

"But I do."

Her confession was soft, barely audible, that Casey convinced himself he imagined it.

If she wanted to, she would. It wouldn't be this complicated.

"Okay," he said, bending down to pick up the dead rabbit. "Let's put you in the-"

His whole being froze as the familiar metal glinted in the early sunlight.

"What is it?" Sydney asked, crouching down beside him, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"How?" Casey asked, looking at her with hurt in his eyes. "You went through his things?"

"Went through whose things? What's wrong?"

"YOU WENT THROUGH HIS THINGS!?" Casey screamed, throwing her hand off of him as he stood up."After everything I've done for you!? Helped you off the streets!? Gave you a place to stay!? And you go through his-"

Casey was fuming, beyond angry. He was furious. The worried look on Sydney's face did nothing to soften his emotions. She went through the only things Casey had left of him, and that hurt.

He bitterly yanked the knife out the rabbit, not wanting to see it there anymore.

"Ouch," he muttered through gritted teeth as he looked down at his bleeding hand.

Cutting his hand on the knife only added fuel to the flames simmering inside of him.

"Are you okay?" Sydney asked, trying to get a look at his hand.

"No, thanks to you," he spat, walking away from her.

"Casey, I'm sorry!"

He could hear her jogging to catch up to him, but he kept walking.

"I wasn't thinking. I just got caught up in going hunting, and I found those knives. I should have asked you first before taking them."

"No, you should have minded your own business!" Casey shouted in response. "So you can keep your apology to yourself. I don't want it."