Chapter 8: Five hundred years

"Alice:   How long is forever? 

White Rabbit:   Sometimes, just one second"

Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

It didn't take long before sleep came to retrieve her, tired as she was. The last thing before falling into a peaceful void dream was that she was happy to have made what seemed to be the right choice.

She was happy that she decided to leave the Orphanage and come here with Erebos, in a place that she knew was her new beginning.

Lily was resting peacefully for once.

No sign of bad dreams, no screams of crazy children, no evil housekeepers waking her up, breaking her poor ears with their loud irritating voices, and especially no cold breeze making her shiver all night.

And she was oh so warm, she didn't even remember the last time she had slept so well and without waking up once.

But obviously life was cruel, and giving her some time off has never been an option, not to Lily anyway.

A horrible high-pinch unfamiliar noise of an alarm clock woke her up, pulling her away harshly for the sweet nothingness. She groaned and covered her head with a soft pillow that smelled of fresh musk and lavender. She tried to ignore it, hopefully it would stop soon.

She didn't want to start doing chores, not now. Maybe she could lie forever under the soft smell of lavender.

Wait a second. Soft? And lavender?

Lily opened slowly one of her eyes and sluggishly peered from a slit in the pillow. Her sleepy mind didn't immediately comprehend why she was not in her attic, and she slowly crawled out her nest.

The enormous room was lit by an orange light that was streaming lazily from the big windows, casting a surreal aura around, giving it a dreamy appearance.

Little by little, piece by piece, the day before come back into her mind, and she turned her eyes to the form of the beautiful giant black dragon, sleeping soundly next to her, occasionally snoring. He was occupying almost all the room with his size, the end of his tail moving with the dreams.

A happy stupid smile broke in her face as she contentedly hid again under the covers. It was all true. The dragon, the Academy and her squad.

The alarm immediately blared again, making her grunt in irritation at the loud sound. Erebos growled, also waking up under the noise of that infernal machine.

Sighting, she got up and closed the new clock.

It stated 6:30.

"6:30 in the morning?" groaned loudly Lily making Erebos growl again. He, just like her, seemed not a morning person.