15

Re-written 05/2022

"Charlotte!" Chase calls my name for the third time.

Tristan has us playing Just Dance on the Xbox. I'm going against Chase but failing miserably. Dancing is not for me. I have the rhythm of your typical white girl. Don't get me wrong I can dance but not like this. Routine dancing is where I look like a fish out of water. The guys, on the other hand, are like clones of Beyonce's backup dancers. How?

"I'm sorry." I'm breathless. "I can't keep up. They're changing the dance moves too quickly."

I stick my arm out at the same time he turns towards me. Crap, I did it again. He turns right into my arm. The guys are snickering behind us and I'm dying here. My body is sore from moving it at a rapid pace and I can't understand for the life of me why someone would invent a game like this. I give props to all dancers out there in the world. You all make it look so easy.

"Sorry." I place my hand on his chest. He stiffens under my hand. "Sorry again." I turn to the guys and exhale deeply. "Thank you guys so much for today. It means the world to me that you guys would do this for me."

"If we didn't Cha—"

"Let her talk." He was closer to me. I could feel the bass of his voice on my back, his body heat wrapping around me too. Looking out my peripheral vision he is that close. If I would take a tiny step back, he and I would be one and the same. The images of earlier come to mind and I mentally slap myself. That's the last thing I need or want.

"Thanks." I look up to him. His blue eyes, those eyes were pulling me again. Maybe he does have a soft side because...because of the way he is looking down at me.

"We are just going to go. It looks like you two want to rip each other clothes off. And I'm all for watching but I prefer two girls going at it." Everett says.

In a nanosecond, Chase's eyes were back to his signature icy stare. What's with him?

I don't wait for him to say or do anything.

"No you guys can stay, I will go. I need to prepare for class tomorrow."

"What? What about dinner?" Vincent stops me, from walking out.

"Didn't we just eat pizza not too long ago? You guys can't seriously be that hungry, again. Also, I have to drive home and that's about three hours from here." It's safe to say athletes have a bottomless stomach.

"We're football players, we eat a lot," Darren adds, getting off the couch. "You know you can always stay here."

"Yeah, we have clean sheets and I'm sure we can find you something to wear as well." Austin stands up stretching.

"I rather not wear something that one of the guys' fuck buddy wore over." I grab my phone off the table. Two missed calls from Wolf. Crap I forgot to tell him what I got. "Hey, guys I'm going to go."

"We insist that you stay—right Chase?" Miguel looks at him.

"Right." He runs his fingers through his hair. "I have a shirt and sweatpants you can wear for the night."

"I'm okay."

"That wasn't up for discussion. I will leave it on your bed with clean sheets."

Here we go again.

"Seriously?! I'm going to stay at Raven's dorm."

"Charles, wait." Darren huffs glaring at Chase.

"Darren don't." Chase raises his hand. "Charlotte, let me start over. It would mean a lot to the guys and me if you stay the night. This is just as much of your house now as it is ours. So, would you mind staying the night? I have some spare clothes for you if you like and I can go grab some clean linen as well."