19) Truths & Goodbyes

Half an hour, Dr Philips has been inside for half an hour leaving us on the edge. Edward spent it walking back and forth, Meg sat down praying and I stood by the wall waiting to know what happened to my sister.

Finally, he came out of the room.

"How is she, doctor?" Edward asked worryingly.

Dr Philips' face said everything as he said, "her condition is getting worse"

Edward frowned, "what condition?"

Dr Philips cleared his throat and kept opening and closing his mouth until he finally, found the words and said, "A year ago, Cecelia passed out at a ball and of course I was called. I examined her and discovered that she was terribly ill"

"Why has no one told me anything about that?" Edward shouted angrily.

"She asked me not to tell anyone and patients' secrecy is an impor..."

"I am her husband, doctor," Edward shouted from the top of his lungs, "What secrecy is there?"

"Being her husband changes nothing, my boy"

"How does...?"

"Would you two just end this?" I shouted and they fell silent.

Actually, we all fell silent waiting for the bomb to explode. We knew that it was coming.

"How is she, doctor?" I whispered.

"I am sorry," he said with tears in his eyes, "she will die in less than a week"

Meg fell to her chair, Edward kept saying oh my God and I was one second standing and in the other, I was on the floor.

"Amelia!" They cried and were going to approach me when I raised my hand to stop them from moving.

She is dying, my sister who ruined my life is dying and I could not be more miserable.

"Can we see her?" Edward asked.

"You can, but you will not find the same person"

Meg and Edward rushed to the door but Dr Philips stopped them, "one by one"

Meg backed away, "you first," she told Edward. He gave her a grateful smile then, went inside.

He came out with a very weird expression on his face. I did not recognize what was in his eyes. Was it misery? Or... Or was it anger? But why would he be angry? Maybe, he is angry at the world that is going to steal his wife away from him.

Meg told me to go first but I refused. Meg entered and came out crying.

I hesitated but Dr Philips patted my back, "she has been asking for you"

I frowned, "me?"

He gave me a sad smile, "She wants to see you, Amelia"

I took a few deep breaths then, went inside.

Once I went inside, my heart ached. That is not my sister, that cannot be my sister. That pale girl who can barely open her eyes cannot be my sister.

No matter how much I repeated that sentence, it did not change the truth... That girl is Cecelia.

I came closer to the bed, I can say that she noticed me because her eyes opened slightly and she whispered, "Sister"

"Ceci," I whispered and a tear fell from my eyes.

"Do not cry," she said with a tired voice.

"Why did not you tell us?" I asked in pain, "Why did you hide this, Cecelia?"