CHAPTER XXXII

– M A K A Y L A –

That was not how I had imagined things to play out.

I expected shouting, maybe even hitting and possibly threatening. But last night was a complete bombshell to my plan. But how could I even be frustrated when I loved every second of it--of her. She had this way of making me forget any kind of negative emotion I held when she gave me her attention.

I watched the slow rise and fall of her breathing as she slept. The sheets only covered half of her back and I was admiring the toned lines of it, along with the intricate tattoo that ran down her right arm.

Why did I have to be in love with a god damn killer? Why couldn't I have just fallen for someone easy. Velron would be a totally easy relationship. No deaths to think about, no running an entire community of criminals and killers and constantly safe inside the exclusive area of Sector 1.

Now, Alex on the other hand... I could most likely fill a book with her flaws. In fact, the night she had finally opened up to me and told me the details of just how dark her past was, I thought I was going to leave. But how could I? There was so much that she had to give despite her flaws. Despite the hard mask she puts into place for her role in the world, she actually cares.

I have spent my share of time around people with false smiles and hidden agendas. Sector 1 was riddled with them. But there is and always has been an honesty about Alex that I had never seen in anyone else. She will state things as they are and not how you want to hear them. It hurts at times, but I will always know that she says them because she despises agendas and legitimately respects people enough to give them the truth.

My eyes flicked over to the small slip of light that was escaping from the curtains. Morning was well under way and I debated waking her. My thoughts were then cut short because I saw her move and then roll over to face me. Those impossibly beautiful eyes landed on me.

We remained wordless for a moment.

"Morning." She stated.

"Yes, well spotted." I smirked.

She rolled her eyes. "Hilarious, Makayla."

I watched her quietly for a moment and she did the same.

"Have you ever noticed that when we try to have a serious conversation the city is either falling apart or we're trying to kill one another?" I suddenly blurted.

She looked at me cautiously, "Why... you're not about to start one are you? If so then I suddenly have some serious business I need to—"

I grabbed a pillow from behind me and swatted her with it. She grinned shamelessly.

"I'm being serious, Alex. We never talk about us."

"What about us?" She sighed.

I turned my head to focus on the ceiling as I spoke. "Well, I'm clearly not going anywhere anymore and you are clearly not going to give up being the leader of the Division 52... Where does that leave us? We have my father's men against us, we have the rebels against us and god knows who else is trying to claim the bounty on my head or just take your head all together—"

She suddenly moved and circled and arm around me, bringing me close to her warmth.

"This is what you have been worrying about?" She murmured.

I nod.

She suddenly smirked, "Well no wonder you tried to run a sword through me last night..."

I tried to hit her but she kept my arms secured in her hold. "I wasn't finished you know." I glared at her to continue. "Makayla, believe me I know where our enemies stand and how many there are." The weight of her words seemed to leave her and I knew that she was carrying the weight of a city on her shoulders. I drew a hand up to trail my fingers along the side of her face, she exhaled and leant into it closing her eyes.

"I also know how much it kills me to have you in the centre of it as well. There is no denying that the target on your back is as large as mine. But I can't make you leave anymore than I can make you stay and I will always leave that decision to you." Her eyes seemed to grow sad only for a moment before returning to their usual state.

I drew my brows together as I took her face in both of my hands. "And my decision has always been to be as close to you as I can, for as long as I can even when the entire city is seemingly trying to tear us apart." I said fiercely.

She smiled at that, and I witnessed the rare moment when her entire face was suddenly carefree and happy. It could crack at anyone's heart if they witnessed it. "You're starting to sound insane." She mocked.

"Probably because I—" the words died on my lips the moment I thought of them. Alex raised her eyebrows at me with a smirk. Oh, god. No...

"You what, Makayla?" She teased.

My entire face flashed with heat and I tried to shrug her off. She was having absolutely none of it however, and I hated how perceptive those stunning eyes were. I threw my arm over my face and groaned.

"Remind me never to start a serious conversation with you again."

"No, no I think we were just getting somewhere!" She exclaimed, dripping humour.

She tugged my arm from my eyes with all the mischief of a five year old. I shook my head at her and tried to roll away.

"Why is it so difficult to just finish what you were going to say?" She pressed.

"There was nothing left to say, goodbye, the end." I stated stubbornly.

"Again, you are a terrible liar so there's no point even attempting it." She dismissed.

I made to leave the bed all together but Alex wrapped both her arms around me and tugged me back down easily. She kissed my bare shoulder and chuckled.

"What happened to the fiery Emperor's daughter that is always so quick witted?" She murmured into my skin. I shivered and was soon remembering images of last night. My body heated instantly. If I didn't move now--

"I need a cold shower." I responded suddenly.

Alex burst into laughter and released me. I couldn't move fast enough. I practically ran out of her arms and into the bathroom as soon as her arms left me. I could still hear her laughter on the other side of the door.

Could this morning become anymore embarrassing? I am such a--

"Makayla! Proximo needs to speak with me, try not induce hypothermia when you have that shower!" She mocked from the other side.

I shook my head as I pressed my back against the door. I had been half a second away from telling her that I was in love with her and she damn well knew it. What's more? She finds it hilarious.

It is so typically Alex it's painful.

But what kept nagging at my thoughts throughout my ice-cold shower, was that she had never said the words either. It was obvious she cared deeply for me, but god knew how Scorpion would deal with an emotion like love...