Chapter Twenty-Eight

Korra's POV

"Korra, is something wrong?" Bolin furrowed his eyebrows together. We had made plans to grab some ice cream together after school and now we were sitting on a set of swings at a nearby park. He had almost finished his Rocky Road while I barely touched my Strawberry Cheesecake.

I tried being more optimistic about everything, but it's more than I could handle. Asami hadn't talked to me for 2 weeks now and I had to move in with my mother in her apartment-sized hotel room and endure the sheer awkward silence.

"Korra?" Bolin asked again.

I smiled half-heartedly at him. "I'm fine." It was like my internal dictionary only had those two words nowadays.

He looked worried for a moment, but thankfully he didn't push on. Bolin is incredibly patient and it helped.

I really wished I could be a little happier, but the memories and the universe wasn't helping. Even the place he picked to hang out at was a massive reminder of Asami.

I wonder how she's doing.

"I heard your father's final trial is tomorrow," Bolin fidgeted with his thumbs, keeping his head down. "Do you mind if I come, just to be supportive?"

"Sure," That was all I could say. I felt happy at first, then I realized this was his first time seeing my father in trial since his discharge from the hospital. Then I also realized how Asami was usually the one who watched out for me. That made my mood worse.

Why does it all come back to Asami?

~~~~

"All rise for Judge Benson." The security guard called out. We all stood up, and watched as the judge entered the room, wearing his knee-length black suit. He took his time getting up on the stand and sat in his mighty chair, cueing everyone else to sit too.

Bolin sat beside me, flashing his signature smile, as he placed his hand on top of mine. It was sweet, and I appreciated it. But I couldn't help but wonder where she was, right now. She'd always wait by the steps of the courthouse or just outside the courtroom. She wasn't there.

"First witness, please enter the stand." the security guard called out.

I kept my head down as the witness came in. I was too distracted to focus on anything. My body was in the room, but my mind was somewhere else entirely. I kept on wondering how Asami was doing. She didn't answer any of my phone calls or text messages. She was acting as if I didn't even exist.

My sense drifting in and out of the room, and I could faint clacking of heels against the marble floor. The tiny gate that acted as a border between the stands and the audience swung open, making a slight squeak and people murmured under their breath.

"Please state your name, for the recording." the guard requested.

"Senna." I stared shocked at my mother, as she sat on the witness stand as Ms Raava was preparing to cross-examine her. Her face was emotionless as always and if it were anyone else, they would think she was just trying to be composed. But I knew her better than anyone. I knew that her true emotions would always show in her hazel-brown eyes. I could see right through her, and the image I saw was absolute malice towards my father, and an overbearing will to destroy him.

"Miss Senna," Ms Raava continued. "How long have you and Mr. Tonraq been married?"

"About 20 years." She answered curtly.

"Has he always been an alcoholic?"

"Not until I left him."

She stepped closer to the stand. "May I ask why you left him?"