Chapter 28

HUDSON 

It was so quiet that I could hear the squirrels digging up holes and storing their acorns. 

Or maybe those were the chipmunks. 

I would have to ask Alexis later about that since she seems to be an expert on the two.

When no one said anything, Brielle looked up at Lacey, who I assumed was her sister, with a confused look, "Lacey, what's a mate?"

Lacey bit her lip, her gaze not leaving Matthew's once, "It's a soulmate, Bri."

"So you're his soulmate?" Brielle asked, pointing at Matthew curiously. Lacey nodded and Brielle shrugged, before moving closer to Matthew. Everyone held their breath as we watched the two. 

If it weren't for the seriousness of the situation, I would probably laugh at the look on Matthew's face. He had no idea what to do when Brielle motioned for him to kneel, but he did so anyway.

Brielle studied his face for a few moments before turning to Lacey, "He's cute. I like him."

I nearly choked on my spit as she patted Matthew's nose and skipped back to her sister. I turned my attention to Alexis, who gave me a what-the-hell-is-going-to-happen-now look. For the first time in ages, I felt helpless.

I didn't know whether we could trust Lacey and Brielle, but at the same time, I didn't want to take Matthew's mate away from him. That wouldn't be fair at all.

When Alexis noticed my hesitation, she nodded and straightened slowly. She turned her gaze to the two sisters and smiled kindly, "How about we talk over a cup of coffee? It's too early in the morning for me to process this."

Lacey finally turned to look at Alexis and swallowed hard, seemingly nervous, "I'm not sure. I don't want to intrude."

"Nonsense. You're Matthew's mate. Now come along, how do you like your coffee? Brielle, what would you like to drink?" Alexis asked, her voice becoming softer as she pulled Lacey and Brielle further away from us. 

I looked at two of my best pack warriors, "Keep an eye on them. I'll join shortly. If one of those two girls does something suspicious, mind-link me immediately."

They nodded and ran after the three. 

I walked over to Matthew, who was staring at the fading figure of Lacey with longing. It definitely hurt to see his face since the last time I saw him this forlorn was five years ago, during the fight with the rogues.

"Matthew, it will work out. Don't worry. The Moon Goddess knows what she's doing. She wouldn't put you with Lacey if she didn't think it was a right match," I said softly, trying my best to make him feel better.

I gave Boston a pointed look, and he seemed to scramble to find something to say, "Hudson's right. She does things for a reason. Besides, a werewolf with eagle wings or an eagle head is pretty cool." 

I pinched the bridge of my nose and shook my head as Matthew finally realized what Boston meant. He cleared his throat and nodded slowly, "Thanks. I'm just going to go now. I–um– need some coffee too."

We watched him turn around and walk in the direction the ladies went. When he was out of earshot, I slapped the back of Boston's head, "What the hell? The first thing you can think of is his pups? Are you kidding me?"

Boston winced and rubbed his neck sheepishly, "Okay, so maybe that was a bad idea, but it's better than telling him that his mate might leave him."

"We don't know that for sure," I shook my head, "For all we know, she could be a good griffin. We just have to wait and see."

He shrugged, "Well, let's go and find out. I don't want to miss out on Alexis' coffee."