Chapter 1 - Learn the Lines

"Listen here, you little troll," was not something Jacob had expected to hear from his Drama teacher, Mr Bentley, especially to one of his fellow students. But word around town was that Mr Bentley was a man on the verge of a mental breakdown, and whatever was happening in his life was pushing him over the edge.

The fact that he was also talking to Spizzo, the resident pain-in-the-ass, probably wasn't helping either. Spizzo was one of the best players on the school's soccer team and he definitely let his athletic skills get to his head. He never really thought about others, or their feelings, nor did he even really care, just doing things his way without a lick of thought.

That's what Jacob thought anyway, as he continued to listen to Mr Bentley ream Spizzo out, telling him, "Don't you dare even think about turning up to class tomorrow without your lines memorised, or I will make sure you won't be playing this weekend, you got me?"

Jacob stood behind the curtain, unsure with what to do or where he had just put himself. He had only come back to ask his teacher a question about the play, and here he was now, wondering if he should make himself known or wait for them to leave.

Jacob could hear Spizzo gawk at their teacher, protesting, "You can't do that! Scouts are coming to see me play!"

"Tough luck, princess, learn your lines or miss out," Mr Bentley laughed hollowly, adding, "Don't test me, Spizzo, 'cause do I really look like a man who gives a fuck?"

And with that, Mr Bentley left, the loud bang of the auditorium doors signalling his departure. Jacob could hear Spizzo growl before letting off a long string of curse words, some directed at what Mr Bentley could do to himself.

Jacob shuffled awkwardly, not liking the situation he was in, only to stumble over his own feet and fall into the curtain in front of him. As he tried to stand himself up, he could hear Spizzo ask, "who's there?" and some footsteps making their way towards him.

Jacob closed his eyes and steeled himself for whatever Spizzo was about to say to him, 'cause it was never nice, wincing as he heard the other boy whip the curtain aside and say, "Oh Skidmark, it's you. I shoulda guessed a creep like you would be here," in a tone that sounded playful, but was anything but.

"I'm part of the play too, jackass," Jacob sneered, acting sassier than he felt. "I'm allowed to be here."

"Yeah well, scram," Spizzo sneered back. "I have lines to learn."

"I can help you with that," Jacob said before he could even think, kicking himself once the words left his mouth.

"Why would I need your help?" the other teen replied, looking down at him as if he'd said something stupid.

"I do know every line of this play, y'know, being the director's assistant and all," Jacob retorted, not letting the jackass undermine all the work he'd put into this play. "But I'm sure you have it covered," he continued to sass, nodding at the other teen condescendingly.

Spizzo was quiet for a moment, looking at Jacob as if he were sizing him up. Jacob tensed, wondering if he'd been too sassy and Spizzo was about to beat the crap out of him, but was surprised when he asked, "Why would you want to help me?"

"Things aren't always about you, Spizzo," was Jacob's response, rolling his eyes. "You have the most important lines, and even if you have the smallest role, you set the tone for the rest of the play. You need to get the wording and delivery right or the play falls apart and we all suffer. But I guess that doesn't matter to you."

The other teen was quiet again, looking like he was going to be sick as he said, "Fine ok yeah, you can help me."

"You can help me?" Jacob scoffed, shaking his head at the other's arrogance. "I'm not gonna help you if you're gonna ask me like that."

"Ergh fine, why are you so difficult?!" Spizzo growled, starting to lose patience, before finally getting the guts to say, "Will you help me with learning my lines..." only to be met with silence from Jacob until he added, "...please."

"Alright," Jacob nodded. "Where did you wanna go to learn them?"

Spizzo thought for a second before telling him, "My place. I don't know what kinda crack den you live in, Skidmark, and I don't wanna find out."

Jacob gritted his teeth, already regretting his decision.

"Fine. Yours it is."