Preface

One too many. Kim Jiwon had lost count of how many shots she had gulped down during the two hours that had passed. Had she not lost count, she still wouldn't be sober enough to keep track anyway.

She slammed the shot glass on the marbled bar counter, loud enough that you'd almost hear the dent forming on the surface. Luckily, there was none.

"Bartender-ssi," slurred Jiwon. "One more!"

There was a look of skepticism on the bartender's face as he studied her figure resting unceremoniously on the counter — probably wondering how much more until she'd finally stop, but nevertheless, placed a glass on her side.

"Stupid arrangements, what do they take me for?" she sneered before chugging down another shot of vodka, wanting to burn herself down with the same sensation that filled her throat.

Jiwon could already imagine the scenario she'd wake up to: a hangover to greet her first thing in the morning and an eternal chiding from her parents during breakfast on their long dining table. She wasn't a child, for crying out loud, but they sure treated her like one.

Releasing a sigh of frustration, Jiwon pressed her fingers on her forehead. Every beat of the sound system drummed through her pulses, the blaring sounds filled her ears. But not to the point where she couldn't hear an unfamiliar voice talking to her.

"You alone?"

"It's none of your business," she replied all too quickly; didn't even bother to cast him a glance. The uninvited guest chuckled before he situated himself beside her and ordered a drink.

Alone. That was precisely what Jiwon wanted to be. And an intruding stranger wasn't much welcome. In actuality, it infuriated her.

"I'm Saeyoung," he introduced. "And you are?"

Jiwon climbed down the bar stool, wobbling to her side whilst she balanced herself. This did not go unnoticed by the man beside her.

"Isn't it too early to leave?"

"Isn't it too early to be overly familiar?" she snapped back, the alcohol taking over her system. "Leave me alone."

About to turn on her heel, Jiwon was halted by a hand on her shoulder.

"Don't touch me." She pushed his hand away, however, the man didn't budge.

"Don't get all too feisty now."

Jiwon rolled her eyes, snickering to the side. He wanted to make a scene? Fine, she'd give him one. She reached for the empty shot glass on the counter and hit it against the marble, hard enough to break it.

"Can you fucking leave me alone?" bellowed Jiwon, tilting the pointed edges straight to his face.

No. Kim Jiwon was not exactly a violent person. But when pushed to her limits, especially at times she wasn't in her best disposition, she could be. And right now, she found it necessary to defend herself.

Seeing that she was dead serious, the man had slowly backed away. Jiwon was about to put the glass back on the counter and finally leave, when another person gripped on her arm, taking the shot glass swiftly.

"That's quite a weapon you got there, don't you think?" He glided the shattered glass across the counter before eyeing the other guy with a blank expression. "Any problem?"

"Geez, I was just trying to make a conversation," the guy named Saeyoung mumbled, rubbing his neck. Without answering further, he turned on his heel and disappeared into the crowd right away.

"Anything else happened before this?" The guy who had interfered with the commotion whipped his head towards the bartender.

"Only what you've seen, sir," he replied with a polite nod.

"I'm not drunk!" Jiwon finally spoke up, flicking the hand away from her arm. "See?" She giggled, wobbling whilst she tried to steady herself — more like failed to do so.

Before she completely tripped, Jiwon managed to lean on the bar stool for support. She smirked to herself, feeling triumphant as if she had proven that she could totally manage on her own.

However, that feeling of triumph was short lived. Soon enough, her frame was secured in a firm grip to prevent her from coming face to face with the floor.

"Did she come here with anyone?" her supposed to be savior asked the bartender, ignoring Jiwon's attempt to get out of his grip.

"I don't think so, sir."

Glancing back at Jiwon, he observed her carefully. A ghost of a frown etched on his expressionless façade. How irresponsible, he thought.

"Where's Jimin?"

"I believe he's on his way."

"J-Just let go," Jiwon interrupted, struggling her words out.

"Do you have anyone we could contact at this hour, miss?" he asked, completely disregarding her protest.

"I can handle my own!" she exclaimed, irritation painted on her face. "Why does everyone think that just because I'm a woman, I can't make proper decisions? This is too fucking unfair!"

The guy simply inhaled through gritted teeth, raising his brows at her. Not just irresponsible, but also troublesome. He sighed.

"Look, mister." She whirled around and stared directly at him through her hooded eyes. "I don't know who you are but could you please f—"

He narrowed his eyes at the sudden hitch of her shoulders. Confusion swarmed him when her head fell on his chest.

Was she asleep?

"Hey." He stepped back, adjusting her weight on his arms. Warily, he patted her head, but no response came.

"Hyung. Sorry I'm late, I— Who's this?"

"I'd like to know that as well," he nonchalantly replied to the new arrival, not bothering to glance at him whilst he kept shaking the girl lightly to wake her up.

His eyes rounded subtly when she lifted her head again, her milky eyes fixated on his face. He then kept a straight face.

A straight face that morphed with disgust later on.

"What the hell?" He instinctively created a gap between them, still securing her arms and closed his eyes shut, tilting his head back. His now damp attire clung to his skin, and oh how every fiber of him loathed the feeling.

On the contrary, a suppressed laugh erupted from his friend beside him, finding the scene rather amusing. Jimin had expected the glare coming from his unfortunate friend, however, that did not cease him from finding the situation rather humorous as well.

"Jimin," the unfortunate man of the hour called, annoyance dripping on his voice. "Make sure not a single soul knows that this ever happened."

— ✿ —
hi! I missed writing so much aaaa how's everyone? I made a few changes here and there, and well, I'm still kinda struggling with a block so please do tell me what you honestly think (especially since things are going to get more, well... 'absurd'? haha). all your feedback and opinions matter and really help a lot. have a great day ahead everyone, and take care!