Chapter Four

"Pizza, again?" Javier asked, his bright eyes dancing with laughter.

"Hey, you're the delivery guy so just do your job and leave me with my cheesy goodness! Judging me isn't in your job description." I teased, earning a wide grin from him. Something about his features was familiar, but I brushed it off.

"Sorry," he said in a surrendering tone, handing over my dinner. Well, it would be my breakfast too, judging by how huge it was.

I handed him the cash with a smile and a large tip, and he jokingly tipped his baseball cap at me. I waved him goodbye, wondering how one of my only decent friends was the pizza delivery guy.

I'd been at school for a week now, and Ally and I were well on our way to becoming great friends, as were Chris and I. Charlie was a little too much of a preppy frat boy for us to be best friends just yet. He was nice enough and we talked quite a bit, but we weren't really close. Romi kept to herself for the most part and talked only once in a while, and spent most of her time with Brad. Brad and Travis were best friends and, whenever he wasn't with Romi, Brad was with Travis. Travis also spent a lot of time with the other guys on the football team.

Tamsin and Millie, on the other hand, didn't take much of a liking to me. Since my mother was rich and they wore clothes from her label, they weren't outright rude to me, but you could tell that their niceness was fake.

Therefore, at this point, I could safely say that my best friends were Ally, Chris, Javier and the pizza he brought me.

I had friends from before, of course, but the distance proved difficult and we weren't talking too much. I had spoken to my best friend from San Francisco, Jess, everyday during the summer, but we were already beginning to drift now that school had started. I spoke to the others at least once a week, but even that was hard.

"Why are you eating that?" My mother asked, her nose crinkling delicately, as I grabbed a slice of cheesy pizza.

I rolled my eyes exasperatedly, hating the fact that she was back for the weekend.

"What do you mean?" I asked, feigning innocence.

"You can't afford to put on any more weight. You're already fat."

I rested a hand self-consciously on my stomach. Sure, I wasn't the skinniest girl out there but my stomach was flat. My collarbones didn't stick out, but I worked hard every day at the gym to stay fit.

I dropped the slice, suddenly losing my appetite. She was right. I shouldn't eat too much. I'd been eating too much pizza lately.

"Good girl." She smiled, her eyes approving. Her heels clacked against the marble floor as she walked towards me. She seized the pizza box and, with a cursory glance in my direction, tossed it into the trashcan, a vicious smile decorating her lips the entire time.

She quirked a perfectly plucked eyebrow at me, daring me to speak, but I just turned away and went back upstairs. I didn't come back down for dinner, and she was gone by the next morning.

The next morning, Ally picked me up for school in her bright red BMW convertible. It was very extra but, as I'd come to learn, it was also very Ally.

Physics was first period and I wasn't mentally prepared for it, having spent all of my weekend procrastinating and ignoring the fact that I had to go back to school.

For the first time, though, the seat next to mine in Physics wasn't unoccupied. Julio, the asshole in the leather jacket, was sitting there.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered, my hostility evident.