Chapter Sixteen

16

Kylie's POV

"In celebration of our children making it through yet another school year, we present to you, the annual EndOf Spring Gala!" Ms. Tompkins spoke on the mic.

The music started and she spoke once again, before her quest to find a partner for herself . "For the first dance, we ask that everyone find a partner and get on the dance floor!"

I looked around hopelessly as Levi was nowhere to be found . I felt like a giant misfit in my red wine colored, sweet heart mermaid dress . Two hours ago, I didn't even know that existed! My curled hair was in a sleek pin up with one stand hanging down the side of my face. I even had on makeup! Foundation, numerous eye shadows, concealer, lipstick, the WHOLE NINE!

Joy-filled couples rushed pass me as a slight mid-afternoon breezed washed over our faces .

Everyone started to dance, and my cheeks grew rosy. Where was Levi?

"Um... Excuse me?" A little boy with green eyes and brown hair asked .

I smiled a brilliant smile . "Yes?"

"Could you... Would you... Would you mind..." He stammered .

"Would you dance with me?" I asked him.

He looked up at me with sparkling eyes . "Sure!" He said excitedly .

I held out my hand, and he took it enthusiastically, leading me to a vacant space between all of the dancing partners .

As the song neared it's end, Levi finally appeared .

"Could I steal her away for a quick second?" Levi asked the boy, who had told me his name was Coby.

Coby's beautiful smile faded. "You're still the best dance partner I've ever had," I said and kissed him on the cheek.

His bright smile reappeared on his face as he walked near what looked like his mom.

Another song started, but this one was slower. Slow enough to actually slow dance .

I rested my head on Levi's broad chest as my hand intertwined with one of his and his other hand rested at the low of my back.

"Where were you?" I asked him.

I could tell he was hesitant about answering my question . "I got a call... From that football camp I applied for last year... I got in."

I stopped dancing and took a step back from him . "So... You're leaving.. For the entire summer."

He sighed and grabbed my hand, leading me back into the dance .

"This opportunity could lead to a scholarship to Florida," he said and even though he was trying to spare my feelings, I could hear the excitement in his voice .

I remained quiet for a minute. "I know," I whispered onto his chest . "I'm just going to miss you, that's all."

"I'm going to miss you too Ky," he whispered back and kissed me on the top of my head .

We continued to dance until the song ended.

"I'll be right back," I spoke .

"You alright?" He asked .

"Yeah. I just need to go to the restroom," I said and smiled, before retreating to the left.

Tears rimmed my eyes after I took a few steps away from Levi. I tried to blink them back, but they soon fell as I escaped the crowd of people .

I rushed into the restroom and didn't bother holding back my pain at this point .

Luckily, no one was in there. I turned, locked the door and slid down it.

What was wrong with me?

I should be happy that Levi is getting an opportunity like this. Florida has been his dream school since we were little kids, but a whole summer without him seems unimaginable .

I picked myself up and looked in the mirror . When did I start depending on a guy to determine my happiness?

I used a few of the napkins and wiped away all of the tears . Luckily, my mascara and eyeliner were waterproof, so not too much damage was done .

I unlocked the door and when I stepped out, someone caught my eye.

I looked up and on the other side of the stage, I saw Tyler .

He was in a gray tuxedo with a tie that matched my dress .

We seemed to avoid each other for the rest of the night, until we were forced to dance .

Levi wanted to share the last dance with his mom and tell her about the summer program .

"Tyler!" I heard Ms. Thompkins whisper loudly, then point to me .

I tried to pretend that I wasn't listening to them, but when Tyler walked up to me, I knew he was asking for this dance .

"Would you like to dance?" He asked huskily .

I just nodded as we walked to the floor together .

I felt his arms go around my waist, but I could tell he was trying to make me feel comfortable, so I went along with it.

"You look beautiful," he mentioned .

Where's Blair?" I asked, completely ignoring his compliment.

He chuckled. "Why do you care Kylie?"

"Because you could do so much better!" Wait.. Did I say that outloud.

"And once again you care about who's good enough for me becaauuseeeee.." He trailed off.

"Because.. Uh," I stammered .

"Because we're friends right?" He asked and spun me around, before taking a step forward and quickly dipping me backward.

We stayed there for a moment, and once again I became lost in his eyes.

"I guess you could say that," I said .

He slowly pulled me back up and we continued to dance .

We remained quiet as the song played to its end. My head was on his chest with my arms around his neck, while his hands relaxed at the small of my back .

"Kylie," he whispered and I looked up at him.

Our eyes locked and his sparkling grey eyes intoxicated me. I felt myself leaning in when..

"And that concludes our END OF SPRING GALA! We hope you all had a lovely time and we also hope to see you next year. Good night!" Ms. Thompkins said on the microphone .

I inhaled sharply .

"I should go find Levi," I whispered .

"Yeah," Tyler whispered before letting me go so I could find my boyfriend.