Chapter 13: To covet

N/A: The chapter is long for I wanted to put everyone's screen time. Not sure it would be to everyone liking though

Was it the morning, was it the night? He didn't know. The room was still tightly closed, the windows tightly shut, and not a ray of light pierced the place. He was hurting, all over. The ropes narrowed his hands and feet so much that his circulation certainly didn't flow there. His members had long gone numb, his overall body was aching. The door had opened itself many times and each time, the person had carried more insects to thrust into his bleeding flesh. He had long stopped tossing, stopped trying to free himself. His feverish mind was making him delirious, one moment he was conscious, the other he was passing out. It was less than a day of torture yet Yenaigai was already questioning his sanity.

However, as hurt as he was, the former Lian young master still stubbornly refused to let out a single sound, no way would he implore and beg with his tormentors. That's what he thought. That's what he fiercely held on as a lifebuoy. Nevertheless in his head or dream maybe, he was beseeching. Not sure if he was so soundless anymore. In his moments of awareness, he felt like he heard someone shouting but it could have very well been his own voice. The worst part was that he wasn't sure for what he was so suppliant about but the hollow voice was still earnestly pleading.

In his delirious state, real memories and fantasies were mingling, confusing him to the point where he couldn't differentiate which was what anymore.

"Mistress, mistress" he was faintly calling without even noticing, lost in the creation of his tormented mind.

He saw the late queen. Her eyebrows were creased; her face was flushed with a fury that was on the verge of exploding. She was glaring at the eight years old girl in front of him. From where he was, he couldn't see the expression on that girl's face but her voice was steady when she proclaimed him hers. No one could touch him. Not even her mother. Just like this, she was revoking the orders to take his life.

A so blatant disrespect. Ink could certainly be collected from the queen's face.

He let out a groan; the pain came back with ruthlessness. The room was still dark. He still couldn't see anything, not even his body. He drifted again in his mirage world.

"Really?" said a child's voice without a single trace of fear. "This daughter hadn't seen any rule against it. Could the queen pass those written papers for this one to see?"

That had riled the queen.

"Impudent child! If you are to have a consort then you're no longer welcome in this queen's residence. Construct your own! Old enough to have a consort then old enough to leave the residence!" Her voice had been a shout, she hadn't infused qi in it but it still left a deafening silence.

His young self had wanted to intervene. The queen who was usually always trying to please her daughter was now chasing her out. And somehow it was his fault. He wanted to rush in front to beg but the young girl blocked his path and even though he desperately wanted to see her face he could only see her back. Her voice was still even as she answered her upset mother.

"This daughter knows." She paused for some seconds before adding. "The manor by the forest could still be used."

Whether that last part had been a request or an affirmation, only she knew. Nonetheless, her words deeply angered the one in front of her. To have her daughter so ready to leave her residence and what more not even considered living in the palace where her own residence was already constructed was, to say the least maddening!

"Then go away" she roared.

The scene faded; daughter and mother pair disappeared and left in the dark, he shouted at the top of his lungs, his young feet ran to catch up with them. But the faster he ran, the faster they were going far away. He stumbled and fell, their faint image couldn't be seen anymore, the darkness was now complete. Gripped by despair he crouched down, holding his knees, and murmuring things even he knew nothing about.