TWENTY-NINE // Piper

HOW THINGS ARE STARTING TO BE GOOD AGAIN

After working through the small flashback with the help of my amazingly patient best friend, Thanksgiving Break passed in the literal blink of an eye.

            I've written my thoughts out to Micah on a note in my phone, but I have yet to send the stupid thing to him. I feel terrible because it's been two weeks now and that's two weeks too long that I wanted him to wait. But I haven't been able to gather my courage just yet.

            It's the week before mid-year finals now and everything is going surprisingly smooth, which is a weird sentence to think. Usually this time of year is when my mental state goes to Hell because of finals, but I'm choosing to believe that Micah is a huge reason that hasn't happened yet this year.

            The Christmas choir concert was last week and thankfully Miles was nowhere to be seen. Micah decided to come and sit next to my parents in the audience, but Roxie wasn't there – I was only a little bummed about that.

            So, as I said, things are going smoothly for once. The deadline for the article is approaching, though, and haunting me every second I remember. I'll finish it eventually. But things are too good right now. I don't want to ruin this.

            When I see Micah for the first time today, it's in a passing moment as I'm on my way to lunch, Taylor walking beside me and groaning about the project her teacher gave them for Anatomy.

            "Hey!" I call out, unsure if Mic will even hear me. He's been running around like crazy today for the pep rally and to help with all the technical things that have to happen when the football season ends.

            To my surprise, though, he hears me. And man, his face lights up when he realizes it's me. It's an expression of his I could so get used to.

            Taylor shoves his shoulder on her way by to our table, leaving me alone with Micah.

            "Hey." His grin is wide and goofy as he pulls me into a hug, my head naturally resting against his chest. He smells good.

            "Where're you headed to?" I ask when he releases me from the hug, much to my disappointment.

            "Coach wanted me to tell my teachers that I'll be out the rest of the day today," He explains with a sad smile.

            I purse my lips. "Fine. I suppose I forgive you for leavin' me in Spanish," I tease.

            "Just this one day, Pipes," He plays along, "I promise."

            Shoving down the part of me that is close to vomiting because we are so grossly cute, I hold out my pinky. I don't even have to say anything before he laces his with mine, squeezing lightly. The grins on our faces are mirror images of the weird happiness we feel from this small gesture.

            I hug him goodbye, heading over to the table with Taylor. Tyler is doing the same as Micah, so it's just Tay and I for lunch today.

            "Oh, question."

            I turn around with a raised eyebrows, finding Micah leaning against the column by the table. "Yes?"

            "If I gave you somethin' to wear to the pep rally, would you wear it?" His teeth tug on his bottom lip as he tries not to smile.

            "Is it your jersey?" I ask tiredly.

            He dips his head down, shrugging. "Maybe."