Chapter 12

Christian's POV

Walking into Keegan after our kiss yesterday, I wanted nothing more than to push him down and have my way with him right then and there in the hallway. His eyes had widened, a gorgeous blush spreading across his cheeks... My restraint almost snapped then and there. I could still feel his lips, soft and warm, and everytime I closed my eyes I recalled his expression - his eyes wide, cheeks flushed, lips parted and moist from the kiss... It was a miracle I didn't attack him.

I felt bad kissing him when I didn't know his true feelings for me, so I definitely didn't want to force any of these thoughts on him. And just being with him makes me want to touch him... "Let's... Let's stop the lessons from now on."

The emotion in his eyes was unreadable, and I pushed past him before I could register whether it was surprise, hurt, or glee. My chest ached, but I forced myself to join in on Nick's conversation. He was laughing with a couple other team members nearby when I walked up. "Hey, Christian!" Nick grinned, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Say, you avoided Jones just now. Finally get tired of fruitlessly trying to teach him?"

I frowned. "Well, no, but-"

"So, can I have my way with him now? Been aching to hit something all day."

Shaking my head, I pulled away from his hand. "That's not it. We're just... Taking a break. Can't push him hard all the time and expect him to get better, right?"

Nick narrowed his eyes, scowling. "Why even bother with a guy like him? He's useless! There's no way he'll ever learn to be like us!"

I felt my own scowl form. "Yeah. Maybe that's what you think, but it's not true. Members of a team look out for each other, and nobody has the same skill set. That's why a team works well together. You know this as well as I do. Stop trying to bring Keegan down. He's doing his best."

Nick's eyes searched mine before he scowled even more. "What's with you, man? You've changed."

Shaking his head, Nick shoved his hands into his pcokets before stalking off, the rest of his group behind him. Relief filled my chest as I watched him go. Maybe now he'll leave Keegan alone. After I clear my head, maybe I'll ask Keegan if he's ready to resume our practice sessions.

---

That's not what happened. A few days after my run in with Nick, we resumed our football activities in gym. Coach came over to me before we started, clapping my back. "I hope to see improvement in Jones today?"

Slowly, I nodded. Coach grinned before blowing his whistle, having everyone line up. "Jones! Get out there and let's see those improved throws!"

Keegan's eyes went wide, but he quickly recovered, his expression becoming neutral again before he moved out of line, going to stand where coach had pointed. Coach looked at the line before pointing again. "Nick, get out there and catch his ball."

Nick jogged to a spot a little ways from Keegan as Coach shoved a ball into Keegan's hands. "Go on then," Coach said gently. "Whenever you're ready."

Keegan turned his body to the side, lifting the ball back behind his head with one arm. His other arm reached out, pointing at Nick. Then, he threw it. The ball arched wonderfully, swirling as it soared. Nick gaped, but reacted in time to catch the ball swiftly. Everyone, even Coach, stared at the ball in Nick's hand as Keegan slumped back into line. 

Coach scratched his head in wonder. "It's a miracle. Good job, Christian."

He smiled at me, but all I could do was stare at the ball, a hollow feeling in my chest. So... this means he doesn't need me to teach him anymore. That means I have no reason to be near him anymore. I turned my gaze from the ball to Nick, who was burning a hole through the ball with his glares. Swallowing, I looked at Keegan, who stood in line, showing no expression, no emotion. He stood in line quietly, ignoring the applause and congratulatory comments of everyone around him. Instead, he was more interested in his feet than anything else.

I ran my hand through my hair before noticing Nick's gaze had turned to me. I swallowed as he gave me a 'we need to talk' look. Keegan glanced up at me through his hair, but when he realized I was looking he turned away. For a moment, I thought I saw him blushing, but I couldn't see his face after, so I couldn't be sure. Sighing, I moved over towards Nick, who had crossed his arms.

"What was that?!" He demanded when I reached him.

"What was what?"

"You said you still had to teach him!"

I scowled. "How was I supposed to know? He's really bad when we practice!"

Nick eyed me. "How do I know you aren't just lying again?"

"Why do you even care so much about bullying him? Just leave him alone! This preschool act won't get you anywhere, Nick. In fact, if anyone found out, you'd probably be facing punishment." I glared back at him, tired of standing on the side while he hurt Keegan, and probably many others who couldn't stand up to him. "I don't know why you feel the need to bring others down, but it's stupid. And the fact that you're nice to others makes it worse."

Nick grit his teeth, and punched me. I stumbled back, and the coach came over, blowing his whistle. "Hey, hey, hey! What's going on?!"

Nick said nothing, and I wiped the blood from the side of my mouth. "Nick got upset when I told him to stop bullying Keegan."

Coach stared at me. "Keegan? Oh! Jones... Nick, you were bullying Jones?" When Nick said nothing, Coach sighed. "I'm afraid you'll have to come to my office, son. We can't have that here. And Jones, you come too!"

Coach walked off, talking to the other students as Nick slumped towards the office. I smiled. Maybe now he'll leave Keegan alone. I looked for Keegan to see if he felt the same way, but his face was pale, and I could swear he was shaking as he turned and followed Nick towards the office. My smile slipped off, and I had a feeling I made things much, much worse.