|43|

It may have been in 

bits and pieces, but I 

gave you the best of me. 

~Jim Morrison

***

I nervously look at my closet.

I couldn't wear something childish.

I could already seen Father's disapproving glare if I wore my favorite yellow winter coat.

Instead I reach for dark blue pants, black winter boots, and a long black with pink dots trench coat.

Maybe father would approve of this.

I look down at my hands.

Covered in paint.

They would be the first thing he sees.

I stand by the closet door, silently debating before I sigh and grab a pair of pink winter gloves.

Maybe he wouldn't say anything about them if I took them off while Atlas was in the room.

The last completion to my outfit was the journal.

I carried it everywhere with me.

I still had not read it yet.

I knew Atlas was anxious for my feedback. I knew it made him nervous for me to have it.

But something held me back.

Mainly because I was worried about what I would read.

If there was anything in there about me.

I glance at the door to Atlas's office. I could hear the faint sound of his and other voices coming through.

Still in their meeting.

Walking down the stairs, I'm met with unfamiliar faces.

A tall male, his hair a salt-pepper color and eyes a light brown, is standing before me. He looks to be in his fifties, but even with the signs of age, his features show that he is a skilled warrior.

The girl on his left is young. Maybe even younger than me. But she stands at attention, her eyes alert and bright blond hair sticking out in all places from her messy bun.

I nod silently to them as the male approaches me, "Luna. Alpha Atlas assigned us to you for today. I'm Jackson," he motions towards the girl, "this is Sara."

I whisper a small hello, cringing at how soft my voice is. Jackson however smiles.

"The car is ready when you are Luna."

I nod and move forward.

Sandra waves goodbye, "Should I have tea ready for when you get back Luna?"

I pause at the door, thinking what the best route would be to take in order to please dad.

"Um...yes...that's a good idea Sandra."

Sandra smiles and nods, turning back and cheerfully humming in her work.

I sigh and step out into the cold air, letting it soak into my face and slap away my fear.

"Over here Luna," Jackson walks towards a black truck. I blush when he holds his hand out to help me into the back.

The drive is silent. I know it's around a fifteen to twenty minute drive to the border.