81. Final

81. Final

"I'm on standby with the girls," I informed, "What about you?"

Russo, pulling his arms through the sleeves of his coat, fixed his collar. "Nowhere," he told me, catching me by utter surprise. 

"Nowhere? But you're a fully, physically capable force at the moment." I reasoned. With Gokudera, Ryohei, and many others quite injured by previous battles, Russo, with not a scratch on him, was ideal for battle.

"Well," Russo chuckled, "I'm on surveillance duty."

"Surveillance?" I could beg to differ, "You'll be reporting back battle progress to the ones at our base of operations? That's something we didn't have in the actual plot." 

Fixing the laces of his boots, Russo sighed. "The real question is," he turned to me, "Do we really need a surveillance member?"

-

-

"Rei-san, are you alright? You look a little tired." Tsuna approached me as I stepped back onto base after sending Russo off. "We didn't catch the both of you coming back here last night, either."

Tsuna looked genuinely worried, on top of all the anxiety he had for the plans that would commence any time now. 

I smiled, trying to ease him off his worries. "I'm alright, I'm always tired." I joked, "Russo and I chatted until morning, pretty much. We returned when Nozaru-san was on Night Watch."

"Until morning??" Tsuna freake dout, "Rei-san, you should really get some-"

Putting a finger over his lips and another on my own-- I shushed him softly. "Non, non," I went into my French dialect, "This isn't the time to be worrying about me, Tsuna. Today's plans are very much more important."

I'm quite sure he was really confused about my sudden language change-- but I turned away quickly, so he wouldn't ask questions.

"I'm back, Kyoko." I called to the girl.

"Welcome back!" she came up quickly, at first with a smile. Her face quickly fell into a worried expression-- "You look tired." she noticed, "Why don't you get some rest?"

I shook my head, giving her a bashful smile. "It's going to start any time," I told her, "I don't want to miss anything." I looked toward the sky-- it was still a pretty, serene blue-- I mumbled under my breath: "Not this time; not this arc." 

"Huh?" she piqued at the last part.

"Nothing much," I chuckled. "Ah, Irie-kun, you look fine."

Irie Shouichi eyed me with a look of 'are you serious?', and sighed deeply. "I really wonder how you could be so carefree at times like these." he mumbled, "If we lose, we all die, don't you know?"