69. Want You Back

Those we ought to think are not.

I trudge through the hospital corridors-- each step heavier than the last-- but still not less resolute.

My dark blue slacks and red button down shirt feel almost as natural as playing a melody.
After everything faded away, my dress turned into my current attire, along with the pendant and crack lost in a spiralling memory.

Nurses and doctors and families bustle about me-- everyone going on with their routine.

The attendant lowers her glasses at me, but doesn't comment at my not having a guardian.

You better be all right, Dylan...

My head turns to both right and left at least twelve times, before going to a specific direction on a whim.

The open windows give a glimpse of the settling night outside.

The tips of my fingers flex my sleeve up to the elbows. When my eyes widen at my exposed left wrist.

My bruise is gone.
But it was there only yesterday...

Just as I'm staring at it, two sets of feet stride towards me.
"Lindsey, you're back!"

As soon as I lift my head up, Allison almost tackles me down with a hug tighter than a getting money out of a miser.

"Is this international hug day!"
I exclaim as she grips me before I fall on my behind.

Just as I stable myself, Allison gives me one last squash before releasing me.

My eyes travel over to the redhead whose left foot is fidgeting and head's tilted down with a small smile.
Then Allison and Ethan notice the change of my clothes.

Both of them open their mouths-- index finger raising-- but then close it muttering: later later.

I then roll my eyes playfully and turn to Ethan.

"Oh, come on! You're my friend, too..." Allison steps to the side, just as I open my arms for Ethan.

His head bolts up and before he can say anything, I give him a quick hug. My arms just coil around his shoulders and him freezing.

But then he relaxes with a sigh and eases his arms around me.

Allison ahems-- pressing a tilted head and a content sigh.

I pull away before my ears start reddening.

Ethan moves away quickly and wraps his arms against his chest. But then releases one arm to scratch on dust of freckles on his nose.
That's when my own head tilts.

"Where's your bandage?" I point my index at his perfectly healed nose with no scar or trace left whatsoever.

Allison shrugs-- her posture saying You won't believe me, but we'll tell you.

Ethan grins.
"I was in my history class-- the one I share with that fucktard." Even Allison doesn't object to the choice of vocabulary.

I just nod with my fingers rubbing my chin.

"That was when a sudden crack came from my nose and a hellhole of bleeding."

My hand goes over the spot where the pendant was at hearing crack. The pendant disappeared in a tiny silver particles when the journal dissolved itself.

"I was rushed over to the matron's and when she removed my bandage, my nose was fine. As if nothing had happened. I won't deny I didn't enjoy Ian touching his black eye and scowling after seeing me without my bandage."