Chapter 29

We sit at our desks in History of Electra class. Somehow, even history class had found a way to apply to our battle with the Protectors. Our teacher, a timid man named Mansfield, is known as a great historian, with an Electra to be able to understand any language. Professor Mansfield walks to the front of the room. Despite looking like a quiet person, he is a great speaker and has a loud voice. He pushes his wire glasses back up from where they had slipped done his nose and begins.

"Today I am not giving you a lesson from the book." He says looking at all of us. "Now, how many of you know how Electra were first created." He scans the room. No one raises a hand. "I'm not suprised. Not many Electra actually know how they were created."

"At first, when the world was still young, all people were like Electra, inhabiting Earth in peace. We worked together using our unigue skills together. All was well." Professor Mansfield continues. "Until a new race suddenly sprang up. They were just like Electra only they were powerless. Their brains couldn't do things like Electra could. They were humans and they were greedy. For a time, they brought great trouble for our people."
Professor Mansfield pauses for a moment. I anxiously kick my feet under my desk. Professor Mansfield continues. "One day a certain human, whose name is unknown, rose to power for the humans. He despised our race. The humans loved him. He was seen as a leader for them. One day, however, he waged war against the Electra."

"For almost a century, Electra was at war. No one knows what happened for this time. It was a time of darkness for the Electra." Professor Mansfield lets out a deep sigh. "Despite our advantages, Electra lost this war. No one knows how. Electra went into hiding amongst the humans. After a while, humans forgot about us. And it hasn't changed since present day."

Finally Professor Mansfield finishes his tale. I sit at my desk, my mouth hanging open, all of my classmates likewise.

"War comes natural to humans." Professor Mansfield says, somber. "Electra however are prepared for it."

With that final statement, the bell rings loudly, dismissing us.

"Well, then." Alice says, when we are in the corridor. "That was...odd."

"Definitely." I agree.

Alice scoffs. "I just wonder what we have for EC."

"No way!" I say when I see when what Professor Gates has laying on the floor of the huge EC room. Weapons of every variety are in a pile on the floor.

"What?" Alice questions, looking around. She squeals loudly when she sees the weapons.

"Woah, chill out, Alice." Isa says from right behind us. "You squealed in your mind too."

"Lets go take a seat now, Crazy Girl." I say taking Alice's shoulder and leading her to the benches.

The three of us take our seats on the wooden benches. Alice stops squealing, but instead kicks her feet excitedly.

Isa notices Alice's excitment. "What is your deal?!"

"We are going to be taught how to use weapons!" Alice says, more excited than she should be.

"Why are you so excited about this?" I ask her, not sure of an answer.

Alice looks at me and shrugs a little. "We may or may not have done some fighting in our pack at home."

"Like, with knives?"

"Not necessarily." Alice answers, with an odd tone in her voice.

Just then, Grayson comes and sits down by me. "What's wrong with her?" He askes, gesturing to Alice.

"Don't even start." Isa says simply.

The sound of Professor Gates' whistle echoes through the room. The chatter in the room dies down. "Many of you may be wondering why there is a pile of dangerous weapons on the floor." He says, straightforward as always. "The answer is that we will be using them." Beside me Alice lets out a squeal.

"Chill out, Alice." Professor Gates says before continuing. "Professor McKinley asked me to teach you with weapons training. So when the battle comes with The Mystic Protectors, you will not have to rely on your Electra."

Professor Gates snaps his fingers and many of the same dummies and targets appear around the room. Professor Gates is a Conjura, he has the ability to conjure anything out of thin air. "Now come forth and pick a choice weapon. From then on it will be yours. You will expected to care for it and train with it. Any questions?"

Alice raises her hand. "May I use-"

"Yes." Professor Gates answers before she finishes.
Alice pumps her fist in triumph.

"Now come and pick a weapon." Professor Gates yells. And just
like that all the kids rush to the pile in a frenzy, not wanting to get the bottom of the pile. I hurry over to the pile and frantically search for the right weapon. I look over the pile of swords, knifes and the like, not finding anything of my intrest. Then my gaze sets on a beautiful wooden bow. It is made of a soft polished wood. It is painted a shiny silver,reminding me of my ballgown. I pick it up and run my thumb over one of the intricately carved leaves. I spot a matching quiver full of white-feathered arrows. I take it and sling it over my shoulder. I escape the crowd of kids and find Alice strapping on a red belt with two knives.

"Don't you want more than just two knives?" I ask coming up to her.

Alice looks up, flipping her hair out of her face. "Nah."

The weight of the bow feels odd in my hand. I only know about archery from the little time we did it in gym class at normal school. I pull back the string of the longbow. Once I get it to full draw, my shoulders ache. It has to be at least 40 pounds. I slowly realease the string. I reach over my shoulder for the quiver and pluck a feathered shaft from it. I look at the sharp metal arrowhead of the arrow. This is an arrow meant to hurt, not the dull tips of the ones I used in school.

"Nice choice."

I turn at the sound of the voice to see Grayson smiling at me. The hilt of a sword sticks from behind his shoulder. "It feels odd doesn't it." He says. "Arming ourselves. Like we are getting ready for war."

"It's because we are getting ready for war." I say, casually putting the arrow back in the quiver.

"It still gives me an odd feeling." Grayson says. "At least I get an awesome sword from it." In one swift move Grayson draws the sword from its scabbard. The sword rings as it comes out. It is a massive two-handed blade. The hilt is a amazing design of flames, crawling up the hilt. As I look close I see the flames in the blade as well.

"It matches you so well." I breathe. "Like the sword was made for you."

"Mine too." Says Isa comeing to us. She holds a sword as well. Her is a thin needle blade, like a saber. The hilt is decorated in tiny shamrocks. I notice a green scabbard around her waist. "I really feel like each weapon was made for each individual."

"It's because they were."

I gasp at the sudden voice. Professor Gates is standing behind Grayson. "I used my Conjura ability to conjure each person's dream weapon." He says.

I look to the pile. Sure enough, there is none left as there was a perfect amount. "Wow."

"Wait a second." Isa says. "Each person had a dream weapon?"

Professor Gates shrugs. "Apparently."