⟅Chapter 17⟆ Seperation

SEPTEMBER 1991
DEVANTE SWING

"Dalvin move!" I yelled pushing him out of the way and making him fall. Racing down the court to the opposite side, I jumped and released the ball aiming for the hoop. Waiting for it to fall through the hoop, I sucked my teeth as it bounced off of the rim and on the ground. Hearing the loud cheers coming from Cedric and Joel, I rolled my eyes and helped my brother off of the floor, who was busy being dramatic. "Get cho' puppy looking ass up, thanks to you we lost" I gritted as I pulled him up roughly.

"What the fuck do you mean it's my fault? You pushed me out the way! You missed the shot. Not I Dalvin DeGrate. You're just mad because you have to pay for dinner tonight" He teased and I rose my eyebrow. "Me paying for dinner or you mean us because we are on a team" I said as I pressed my index finger on his shoulder. "First of all, keep your demon fingers off of my body. Second of all Me, Joel, and Cedric made a deal with each other so you're the only one paying for dinner" He said laughing at the end.

I feel betrayed, my own brother leaves me in the dust. I put my hand in my pocket and felt around for some money. Pulling out a twenty dollar bill, I thought of where we should eat. I've been craving pizza so pizza it is. I picked up my red t-shirt and slid it over my head and grabbed the ball." Alright there's a pizza place across the street from Uptown, so let's go we have to head over there anyway" I said walking over to the gate of the basketball court and dapped some of the fellas up.

"Nigga, I can play better than you! JoJo tell him" K-Ci shouted at Dalvin. They've been arguing since we left the pizza shop. I looked at Joel and he just ate and sipped his soda. I snickered and continued walking. As we walked pass Unknown's studio we heard yelling. I looked at the boys and they looked back at me. I clutched my food and ran into the room, almost dropping my pizza I gasped at what I saw. Natalie was being held back while Bianka was on the floor, Desire was yelling at Natalie and Princess was holding Natalie back. Something must've happened.

"Yo! What happened?!" K-Ci asked. They all turned our way except Bianka. Natalie wore a mug. No one spoke, so this time I spoke. "Everyone sit down and tell us what happened." I said and I heard snickers coming from behind me, seeing out of my peripheral vision I saw that it was Dalvin and K-Ci laughing. Of course those two. "What's so funny?" I asked turning their way. They both shared a look and snickered again. I rolled my eyes behind my shades and pushed them up the bridge of my nose. "You sound like someone's father" Dalvin said laughing along with K-Ci. "Matter of fact, someone's mother" K-Ci said and laughed even harder. Childish asses.

I turned back around and saw that they were all sitting with all eyes on us. Natalie, looked furious as she ate her food, which looked weird it looked like bananas but burnt. Shaking my head as I got off topic I walked over to the long table and sat down in one of the rolling chairs. Taking in a quick breath I spoke. " So tell us, what happened?"

NATALIE DAVIS

I ignored Devante's question as I ate my plantains. I can't believe those bitches, those evil scary ass bitches. Those fake ass bitches that I once called sisters. And I'm the mean one? See they were so lucky that princess was holding me back, or else it would've been a murder scene. "Well....Natalie attacked Bianka for no reason" Desire lied out of that flabby ass mouth of hers. I snickered to myself finding this whole situation so funny. "Man stop lying out of those flabby ass fake ass lips of yours before I knock your ass out like I was planning to do to Bianka" I gritted. There was a silence before I spoke again, "she deserved it anyway and you know why, so why would you sit there and lie like that? None of y'all are safe" I said looking up and making eye contact with them.

"What do you mean?" Devante asked and I looked over at him, before smiling then laughing like the joker. "Tell him or I'll tell him the whole truth" I said leaning back in my chair. They were silent so I took that as my opportunity to speak. "See these bum bitches, they're fake as hell. The used me for fame. It was my idea to start the group and get us signed." I started off. "They were using me for my talent. They made me look like a fool. They went behind my back and found about my past" I said as sipped my water. "My older sister, she told them about how I got addicted to steroids" I continued which caused them to gasp. I rolled my eyes and continued, "I was–well still am a boxer. I was the best boxer in Newark until my downfall. My father who unfortunately you have all met, pressured me into taking the steroids to the point in which I got addicted. I became depressed but I was also angry, angry with my father and my mother for not doing anything. After about a year and a month I left for rehab, I came back and I never took them again". "Now they're trying to use that against me" I finished off. These bitches wanted to expose the truth? Well I did it for them. Nobody spoke which gave me the idea that they were all shocked. "Well you're still a cracky druggie bitch" Desire said which ignited a different flame inside me, hatred. I jumped across the table and connected my fist with her nose. Going for another Swing I missed due to me being picked up. I squirmed in the big arms but giving up because they wouldn't budge. This group thing, Unknown, is no longer. I'm going solo. As I calmed down the person put me down, I turned around and saw it was Joel. I flashed a small smile before turning to the girls. "This is what it's come to. Unknown is finished. I'm going solo" I said as I grabbed my things and my song book and beats. "Oh and Princess, find another place to live at." I said before leaving the room. "Scandalous bitches" I mumbled to myself.