CHAPTER NINE ; GRAVEYARD NOISES

★☆

CHAPTER EIGHT ; GRAVEYARD NOISESalso known as;( the flea and the acrobat ; part two )

also known as;
( the flea and the acrobat ; part two )

★☆

"YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL," PATTY COLLINS SMILED DOWN AT HER DAUGHTER, RESTING HER HANDS UPON THE YOUNGER GIRL'S BROAD SHOULDERS. Stella stared blankly into the mirror before her, taking in her appearance with downturned lips. She had borrowed one of her mother's dresses, a dark, cotton material that fell to her knees and long sleeves that reached her hands. A naked silver chain hung around Stella's neck, one she had forgotten she owned until recently.

Stella forced a smile in response to her mother's words, before reaching up and tightening the dark bow that held half her hair up, the rest falling down her back in soft curls, as she had finally washed her raven locks that morning. Her face was free of make-up; she didn't have the patience or motivation to put any on. She wanted the day to be over with, as she hated funerals with a burning passion.

Her pink lips parting slightly as she sighed, Stella turned around and faced her mother, enveloping her in a hug. Patty immediately held her back, allowing the teenager a moment of weakness. Stella sniffed and buried her face in the woman's shoulder, dreading the idea of leaving the house to mourn the boy who died too young.

"Come on, sweetheart," Patty whispered as she spotted Gary in the doorway with his car keys in hand. The man wore a loose fitted suit, as he couldn't really afford a proper tailored one. Working as a teacher at the local kindergarten didn't read put a lot of money in his pocket, though he loved what he did. Patty had the higher paying job as a nurse, which kept the family on their feet despite her late hours and agonisingly long shifts. Still, the couple both made enough for Stella to have a safe and healthy upbringing, which was good enough for them. "It's time to go."

Stella pulled away from her mother, lacing her trembling hands in front of her stomach. She turned and quietly walked out of the master bedroom, side-stepping her father and trudging down the hall in an uncomfortable pair of high heels (also her mother's).

A hollow feeling rushed through her gut as she trailed through her home and towards the front door. Dread seeped through her at the thought of burying a little boy she had known for years. She still could barely process the situation; Will Byers was dead.

"You ready, Star?" Gary's hand rested on Stella's shoulder, and she swallowed thickly, before nodding once.

"As I'll ever be."

★☆

Stella could barely process anything as she stepped out of the car, pulling her yellow tinted sunglasses off of her face. Part of her wanted to keep them on, maybe they'd distract everyone from the tears that were already welling up in her eyes. Keeping her gaze locked on the ground, the dark haired teen instantly wished the ceremony could be over -- she was being forced to watch the small boy she had known for years be lowered into the ground, something that should have been an afterthought for decades to come.