La Vie En Rose - 10.1

Annabelle POV

I smiled and walked towards Jace, trying to keep myself from curiously peering inside the bag. The bag was decent sized but it wasn't see-through giving me no clue as to what was in there.

Jace handed me the bag, and I gingerly took it. Peering inside the bag, I smiled and a gasp came out of my mouth. Inside was a ukulele and a few ukulele books, which I assumed were to teach you how to play, and maybe a few song books.

I had been staring at the ukulele which was in the store across from the clothing store whenever I had gotten a chance at the mall. I had assumed it was pretty expensive, but as a child my older brother had been an amazing piano player, even without music, and I had always wanted to learn an instrument like him. Unfortunately, the piano just wasn't for me, because I could never seem to stretch my hands in the way you needed. My brother always said my hands were just too small.

When I saw the ukulele from across the hallway at the mall, it had seemed perfect.

I placed the bag on the bed, and took the ukulele out gently, staring at it in awe. Jace had gotten me a mahogany colored ukulele, and someone had painted delicate flowers all up one side of the front. It was beautiful and something I would sure cherish forever. It was the nicest thing anyone had ever acquired for me, and I was grateful.

Overcome with emotion, which I knew was a ridiculous thing to do over an instrument, I started to tear up.

I'm doing a lot of crying today.

"Thank you so much Jace, this is more than I could have ever asked for." I looked up at the prince and he had a triumphant smile on his face.

"You're welcome Kitten, I just figured that it would give you something to do, I saw you staring at one in the mall, and I had to get you one. Especially now, since you'll be cooped in this room for at least a week"

Not knowing how he had time to buy this without me noticing, I wondered if it had not been from the same store, and if he had asked someone to get one.

Shoving all thoughts from my mind, I moved to sit cross-legged on the bed and just stared at the ukulele, taking in every detail.

"It's so beautiful."

"I really thought you would like that one, and I'm glad it belongs to you, hopefully you can bring some music into our lives."

"I can try."

.......

Jace had left shortly after saying he had some business to attend to, and after I had polished off the meal one of the maids had brought into the room, I decided to see if I was going to be any better at the ukulele than I was piano.

I started by strumming, and I was pleased to hear that it was already tuned. I strummed a few more times, and then opened the first book, which said Basics. I skipped the first few chapters, and moved on to chords, determined to learn a song before I got bored and dived into the history of the ukulele.

I actually found it was surprisingly easy to learn some chords! It didn't hurt my fingers at all to strum or create the chords, and I was happy when the chords came out in tune!

I doing so well after an hour of practicing, some of the basic chords I decided to move onto the book of Beginner Songs.  I open the book, looking at the list of songs, nothing standing out to me, until I saw the song La Vie En Rose. It was a song I knew by heart, my mother used to sing a rendition to me as she would put me and my sister to bed at night. This would be good because I would be able to look at the chords and not have to focus on lyrics.

I started out slow, and tried a few time before I could get the strumming just right.

After the intro, I began to strum the song and I sang softly.

Hold me close and hold me fast

The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose

When you kiss me heaven sighs
And tho I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose

A door creaked behind me, but I was determined to finish the song, slightly aware that Jace must be listening behind me.

When you press me to your heart
I'm in a world apart
A world where roses bloom

And when you speak... Angels sing from above
Everyday words seem... To turn into love songs

Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be
La vie en rose

Since, I had gone slowly, I had only made minimal mistakes, and since the song had actually included 8 different chords, I was very proud of myself. I hope it would've made my mother proud.

I turned in the bed, and was shocked to see not Jace, but his mother the queen, standing at the door.

-----------
EDITED

THE QUEEN?

Did anyone guess a ukulele? What did you think of his gift?

Let me know what you thought.

comment, like, follow <3

- K