sincere and loving

"Now remember Zeb, Ezra's in your care so don't do anything stupid" Hera told Zeb as she helped Sabine into the Toyota.

"Yep yep got it. One hundred percent understood" Zeb nodded.

"Good, we'll be back in an hour or so" Kanan told his son as he and Hera got into the car.

"See you" Zeb waved and the Toyota moved away the house and disappeared down the drive.

~ An hour or so later

Zeb looked up from his book to see Ezra coming into his bedroom. 

"Hy kid" Zeb greeted turning back to his book.

"Hey Zeb" Ezra replied looking around the room.

He saw many artifacts on Zeb's dresser and placed a hand on the model of Edward from Assassins Creed. Zeb looked up and felt a flicker of nerves as Ezra picked up the model.

"Ezra" Zeb began standing.

"Maybe you should put that down..."

But before Zeb could take the figure from Ezra's hands, a Thrush hit the glass window. Ezra jumped, dropping the model. It hit the ground and a few pieces broke off.

"Ezra!" Zeb exclaimed in anger, lifting a hand.

Ezra's eyes widened as he stared at the raised hand. A million flashbacks of himself getting beaten by Miss Atama entered the boy's mind and he instantly cowered.

"Please don't hurt me" he whimpered, covering his head and dropping to the ground.

Ezra curled into a ball as he tried to protect himself from the beating he'd thought would come. Zeb froze, hand still raised. He stared at his brother, curled up and terrified on the floor of his bedroom. He didn't know what to do. Kanan and Hera weren't there to help him. They'd trusted Zeb to look after the youngster and now look at what he'd done. He'd scared the life out of Ezra and now he was cowering on the ground. Zeb lowered his hand slowly and looked down on Ezra.

"Ez?" He asked.

"Ezra please look at me."

The child didn't move for a few moments before lifting his gaze up to Zeb. He didn't uncurl himself though.

"Sorry I scared you" Zeb apologized.

"I was just overreacting. You know I'd never hurt you right? You're part of my family and I care about you."
Ezra was gazing at Zeb, eyes still full of fear and he was shaking. It wasn't very prominent but Zeb could see it. He mentally kicked himself for not thinking before he acted. Ezra had uncurled and was sitting on the floor, hand clutching the carpet. Crouching down, Zeb gently placed his hands on Ezra's trembling shoulder. The boy flinched and gazed at Zeb, wondering what his brother's next move was. It wasn't what he expected. The teen pulled Ezra into a comforting hug. It wasn't to give him a noogie, or to put him in a headlock. It was a sincere and loving hug. One Ezra always wished for but rarely got at the orphanage. Sabine did hug him a lot but it wasn't as nice as this was. Ezra didn't even realise he'd gone limp in Zeb's arms, leaning into his older brother. Zeb didn't seem to mind. He kept his grip gentle but firm.

"I know you would never hurt me. I just did that on instinct. You know, considering my past" Ezra muttered quietly making Zeb nod.

"I love you Zeb." 

"I love you too kid."