fighting

~ This is the first time Ezra and Sabine see Kanan and Hera fight. Warning: feels are gonna be major

It started off as a small bicker. Then it grew into something worse. All Ezra, Sabine and Zeb could do was stay out of their parents way. Kanan and Hera were having a raging argument, come backs and yells bouncing back and forth. Ezra and Sabine stood quietly in the corner of the room, not wanting to be there.

"Hey."

A gentle hand rested on both of the kid's shoulders making them look up.

"Let's get away from the fire" Zeb whispered and the siblings nodded.

Zeb picked them up in his arms and walked up the stairs to his room. Opening, then closing the door with his foot, Zeb sat down on his bed with the two kids in his arms. They were quiet for a while, able to hear the muffled shouts from below the floorboards.

"I'm sure they'll calm down" Zeb told the youngsters gently.

"They always do."

"Do they fight often?" Sabine asked, clutching Zeb.

"No, but when they do, it isn't pretty."

Ezra was hugging Zeb tightly, not wanting to let go.
"Hey kid, don't worry. They'll be back to normal before you know it" Zeb soothed.

Ezra nodded and glanced at Sabine.

"Our old parents used to fight sometimes" Ezra admitted softly.

"It was scary."

"Seeing mum and dad fight brought back memories" Sabine added quietly.

"Of our other parents."

Ezra curled in closer into Zeb as his eyes filled with tears. Sabine did the same, tears rolling down her face. Zeb's brow furrowed in concern. These two were clearly shaken by the fact that Kanan and Hera were having a row. He wanted to stop them but last time he did that, Kanan had slapped him. He didn't mean to, it just happened. It took Zeb a few days to forgive Kanan, the bruise on his face lasted a while. Zeb wasn't afraid of Kanan, he never was. He just didn't want the experience to happen again. Kanan was probably still guilty of the memory. Zeb knew that cause every time they fought when he was in the room, Kanan would glance at him. As if silently begging for the boy to stay where he was.

"They've stopped" Sabine said suddenly, breaking Zeb from his thoughts.

It was quiet downstairs. No yelling was heard anymore.

"Come on" Zeb picked them up into his arms again and took them to the lounge.

Kanan and Hera sat at the kitchen table and looked up as the trio came in. Both their eyes filled with regret as soon as they saw Ezra and Sabine's tear streaked faces.

"Ezra, Sabine. We're sorry if we scared you" Kanan apologized.

"Hera and I were just getting some things sorted out." 

"Thanks for looking after them Zeb" Hera told her son gratefully.

The teen nodded and let Hera take Ezra into her arms. Kanan took Sabine and put a hand on Zeb's shoulder.

"You alright?" He muttered.

"Yeah I'm okay" Zeb replied softly.

"I think it's Ezra and Sabine that need some attention though."

Kanan patted his son's shoulder before following Hera up the stairs to Ezra and Sabine's bedroom. Zeb watched them go.

'They're more affected by fighting then I am' he thought.

'They're the ones who need the affection.'

After giving Chopper a scratch behind the ears, the boy went to his room.

~Later that night

Zeb slept soundly in his bed, moonlight shining on his floor. Hera opened the door silently and she and Kanan walked in. They stood over Zeb, gazing down at his sleeping form.

"You know he's forgiven you Kanan" Hera whispered.

"So why are you still beating yourself up?"

"Because he doesn't deserve to be hit. He's such a good boy, he shouldn't be abused" Kanan replied.

"I know he's a good boy" Hera dipped her head and lightly kissed Zeb's forehead.
"He's our son."

Kanan glanced down at Zeb, watching the gentle rise and fall of the teen's shoulders. 

"Your right" he said.

Hera kissed her husband's cheek.

"Of course I'm right" she said with a touch of playfulness.

"I always am."

Kanan smiled at Hera. With a last glance at their eldest son, the two left the room.