$ T H R E E $

Warned
~
December 27th, 2018
Southampton, New York
5 days till New Years

Vera's P.O.V.

11:01 am.

       We both stood there, staring into each other's eyes as if we haven't met before. My lips parted as I was struggling to have words come out, but nothing did. My heart raced a thousand miles because of the person who stood before me. I didn't know what to say nor how to act. He was true to his word; I would've been forgotten and kicked from the family if I left to fulfill my dreams.

"My sweetheart, my baby, I missed you so much!" My mother's voice pulls my father and I from our trances, seeing her walking from the familiar long corridor inside the big mansion towards our direction.

She walks out and passes my father without any acknowledgment, then immediately giving me a bear crushing hug. They had probably gotten into an argument before I came here. Maybe it was about me. I wouldn't be surprised.

"I missed you too, mama." I sniffle, hugging her back.

We stood like that in front of the door, enjoying the comfort in each other's arms. It was too long without her. Being in your loved one's arm is a different type of comfort you didn't know you craved for until you have it. It's like the feeling of home. Their arms are where you belong.

My mother eventually broke the hug. She places her hand on my cheek, looking at me as if this was all surreal. "You changed so much in just a few years. You look more like a woman, more mature." My mother smirks at me as her eyes became glassy.

I shake my head. "Don't cry."

She lets out a chuckle. "I just can't believe you're here, baby. I apologize for being so emotional." She says before taking a deep breath in and wiping her under eyes to not ruin her makeup.

"No mama, it's okay. I understand. I'm your only child after all." I say matter of factly with a smirk.

She smiles then glances at the small box that I placed on the ground before I hugged her. "What did you bring, honey?" My mother pointed to the gift box that was wrapped in baby blue wrapping with a darker blue ribbon sitting on top.

"These are for you, mama." I pick up the gift box carefully and then handing it over to her. "Be careful."

"You didn't have to do that, sweetheart. I appreciate it. Thank you."

I smiled but it wasn't a wholeheartedly one, and my mother noticed it. "He's just surprised that you're here sweetie. He's not angry." My mother assured me.

"You know that's a lie, mama. He acted as if he didn't know me."

She sighs. "You know how stubborn he is. He'll be fine in a few days. He loves you." She said, cupping my cheek.

"Then why hasn't he called me through this time, mama? Why didn't you acknowledge him when you walked out to hug me?" I ask, looking into my mother's vibrant green eyes.

Unfortunately, I never inherited my mother's eyes, but my father's blue ones. If I ever have a husband, I hope he would have green eyes for my children to have more chances of having his eyes. Green is one of my favorite colors.