Chapter 25

Narrator's POV

Not even a full three days after she'd been discharged from the hospital, Camila was back in it for the birth of her daughter. The baby who was only 35 weeks and late preterm.

Thankfully with Dinah there this time.

"Okay, here's Mama," the Tongan panned her phone in on Camila's face that looked so out of it. She had to have a C-section which wasn't a huge surprise since the baby was having some problems already. Camila was numb and drugged, cut open and on the other side of the tarp were the doctors in the process of removing the baby from the uterus.

"Here she is! So beautiful!" the obstetrician quickly cut the umbilical cord and gave her to the team of doctors who placed her on the incubator.

"Aww, Mila, she's here and so beautiful!" Dinah turned her recording phone toward the baby.

"She is?" Camila faintly smiled at her best friend's reaction.

"Yes, oh my god," Dinah had tears in her eyes as well which she was rapidly wiping. "She's perfect, Camila. So perfect."

However, the baby wasn't crying or making any noise which was of great concern. Doctors piled around the incubator, rubbing all over the baby's stomach to try and get her to take her first breath.

But after several minutes there was nothing.

"She's gonna be okay, Mila," Dinah was sobbing at this point, still recording everything that was going on. Her heart had already dropped, panicking at the fact that this baby might not make it.

"Dinah.. what's.... what's," Camila tried to let out but with the oxygen mask on her face and she was close to passing out again, she couldn't speak. There were only tears streaming down her face from the thought of her struggling newborn.

And then after more panicking... the baby girl at least started making some noises, sounding like she was trying to cry.

The biggest amount of relief washed over Dinah, allowing her to take a long, deep breath. "Thank fucking god," she whispered, slowly making her way over where the baby was. "How is she?" she asked the doctor still on video.

"She's still working to breathe but she's getting there," he said as the doctors were now covering the tiny face with an oxygen mask just like Camila's but only smaller.

It broke Dinah's heart again, seeing the baby completely still and frozen. It was like her hope had been lost once more. "But is she going to be okay?" she worriedly asked.

"She'll be fine. Just takes some time especially with little ones like her as she's very tiny with underdeveloped lungs so, we're going to put her in the NICU," one of the nurses said. "You can follow us there now or you can stay with Camila while she gets stitched up."

Dinah knew Lauren would want to see more of the baby on video so, she opted to go to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Plus, Camila even told Dinah to go and she'd see her soon. "Alright, Camila, before we leave, here's your baby," the nurse held the newborn out for the mother to see.

"Oh my god, there she is," Camila bit her lip, tears streaming down her face, making Dinah cry harder as well as she zoomed in on her phone. "There's Sofia."

"Is that what you officially want to name her?" Dinah frowned.

"...Yes," the older woman whispered, looking up at her friend and then back to her beautiful daughter whose eyes were still peacefully closed.

Leaving her behind, Dinah took her and her camera phone out and into the NICU where the baby was settled. She was damn well going to record everything for her green eyed friend. In the room, there were other babies, some more preemies and some who were ill. The Poly just hoped that little Sofia wouldn't have to be in here for very long.