|44|

I'm the darkest sunlight

~Jessica Katoff

***

I wake up to darkness.

Darkness and pain.

I'm frozen on the ground, unable to move. My eyes are wide as flashbacks resurface and burn into my mind.

Run Luna.

I quickly stand, disoriented because I cannot see. I stumble back a few steps and fall onto a hard surface.

A cot.

Feeling the outline, I can make out what the item is.

I softly touch my face.

I wince when my hand reaches my nose.

Broken. The impact from the air bag had caused it.

My whole body hurt from the collision.

But I don't dare make a sound.

But father.

Father.

Why had father done that?

I gag and quickly put my hand to my mouth, but the process only causes me to gag even more. It's no use. Without warning I'm throwing up- on the cot, ground, myself. I don't know.

And like I suspect, the sound has alerted my captor that I'm awake.

Lights flicker on.

I close my eyes to the sudden brightness, and put my head down, wrapping my arms protectively around my head- blocking away the approaching sound of footsteps.

Until they stop in front of me.

"Maya."

I can't move.

A coward.

I was a coward.

His voice penetrated into me, a knife pinning my soul against a wall to stop me from any movement.

It's not until I feel cold fingers upon my flesh that I begin to scream.

"Maya, Maya baby, It's me."

Those green eyes.

I whirl my head away, desperately trying to get out of his grasp but he soon has me pinned down against the cot.

"I've missed you baby."

His voice is close to my ear, reaching into my mind and clawing away at what little sanity I was able to amass.

I look up and there he is.

Smiling.

I'm frozen in place as I watch him take the collar of my shirt, and slowly inspect the corners of my neck.

"Good. Good he didn't get you."

He sighs, clear relief on his face as he pulls back.

"I don't understand why you thought you belonged to anyone but me Maya." He shakes a finger at me, a playful smile tugging at his lips, "You've been a bad mate. I intend to punish you for it."

"My f..fa...father...." I'm barely able to get the word out.

"What? Oh yes, Richard helped me. He knows what it's like to lose a mate after all."

My eyes widen at what he is saying.

He looks down at the mess I've made, talking as he slowly turns to the exit.

"Don't do that again Maya."

I don't know to what he is referring to.

Silently I watch him close and lock the metal door.

It's not until he is gone that I start to scream.

I cling to my head, the pressure becoming too much as I cry. I cry. I cry.

Father.

I had never seen it like that. I had never thought of it that way.

That father would do something so cruel to me because he was just as twisted as him.

But it never occurred to me that father broke on that day also.

It never occurred to me that on that day- when two cars collided- two wolves lost their mates. 

:(

:(

Featured art by: Aja Femme