Chapter 18

Shortly after I had finished conducting my tests of mobility with my leg Kaelyn returned with food. After the last few days, I had apparently been unconscious for, the ruling council had set up food stations for anyone inside the city. A loaf of bread and some sausage was not much, but I was not going to complain. I had eaten worse before and the meat would help me heal.

While Kaelyn and I ate, I asked, "Have we agreed that there is not further business to be conducted here?"

Holding a half eaten sausage away from her so it did not drip grease on her dress, she replied, "Yes. Getting a knife right now is a bad idea. I might not know much about war but I do not see any reason for us to remain here in danger. Leaving today while the fighting has stopped would be our best chance. Most of the sea captains are readying to leave as soon as their men are sober enough to sail. Once they go there is talk that the city will fall."

Chewing a piece of sausage I thought about what she had said. I agreed with her that we needed to leave today, despite my condition. Each of us had clothing that could keep us warm until the snow fell in a few months, but we would be home by then. Once we were out of the city and away from the fighting, it would be easy enough to either walk slowly back home or enlist the aid of someone. Getting out was the problem though.

Knowing we could not walk out of the city, brought me to thinking about other options. Sailing was our best and only option.

Satisfied with my answer to the problem I explained to Kaelyn, "My leg is going to take time to heal, which we do not have. Staying off it will help it recover and allow me to walk on it soon. Traveling on a boat will cut down my walking significantly and we will be able to go north of south along the coast to get away from the fighting. Ideally a canoe would be best, as hiring a ship is expensive and you are at the mercy of the captain and crew..."

"Z, that sounds great, there is just one problem with that,"

Furrowing my brow I waited s Kaelyn continued, "I have never used a canoe before. For that matter, I have never traveled on water before..."

Shaking my head at her doubts I stopped her, "That is true, but a week ago you had never left home, walked close to a hundred miles, or successfully plucked a bird. I know I have asked a lot of you these last few days, but you have achieved much in a short time. Yes paddling a canoe will be difficult but I have confidence that we can do this."

Caught by my facts of her ability to learn quickly Kaelyn remained quiet. Having come to a decision we finished eating the sausage and bread. Our upbringings showed here as Kaelyn ate her food carefully and kept it from staining her clothing. I luckily managed to not stain my clothing even as I devoured my food.

Finishing our meal, I prepared myself for the nest step. Getting out of bed was going to hurt no matter how it was accomplished, but once I was up I was going to stay up. Nothing was going to stop me from getting Kaelyn and I out of this city today.

Bracing myself for the pain, I with Kaelyn's arms for support brought myself to the edge of the bed. Swinging my legs out and placing my feet on the floor, I noted that I was already wearing socks. Taking my boots from Kaelyn as she handed them to me, I gently stuck each foot into them. Lacing them for travel I winced as my side released a ball of pain.

Ready to stand I found myself staring into Kaelyn's eyes as I slowly rose from my sitting position. Standing for the first time in days, I gritted my teeth as the pain from my leg flared. "I will be alright, what do we need to pack?"

Without argument Kaelyn pointed to the bandages and told me to put them in my bag. When I went to grab them I was surprised to notice both of my pistols were lying there next to the supplies. Unable to use both I put one into my bag, keeping the second one out. Unsure if anyone had checked it, I quickly removed its clip. Surprisingly the clip was full and the gun was clean, not a trace of the powder burnt during my firefight.

Eager to go I slid my pack on, grunting as my side protested at the additional weight. Slipping the pistol through my belt, I followed Kaelyn to the door. Allowing her to go first, I closed it behind me. Whatever happened we were not coming back to it.

Unfamiliar with where we were I allowed Kaelyn to lead me through a series of halls and finally out of the building. Whatever I had been thinking was lost as I stared at the scene before us. Hundreds of people lay in the grass or even in the street. Screams of pain and agony sounded from all around. Doctors and soldiers alike scurried around, determined with their tasks. Guilt at leaving these people behind clashed with fear that I, Kaelyn, or Ezekiel could have been one the many lying here.

Slipping her hand into mine in a comforting gesture, Kaelyn guided me past the bodies and out into the city. Here away from the bodies you could barely tell that anything was wrong, until you saw the remains of a building that had been destroyed in the fighting. In all my travels I had never seen such devastation in such a short time.

Few people filled the streets as we made out way to the harbor, which was as quiet as the city. Twice we passed men of black color from the far off place known as Africa. Their appearance did not seem to disturb Kaelyn who responded to their greetings and wished them luck with their fishing. These encounters showed me that Kaelyn had been busy while I had been unconscious. While I had wanted to be there when she first aw an African, I was glad to see that she saw them as people despite their odd piercings, clothes, and skin color.

Moving along the waterfront with a determination I had never seen, Kaelyn stopped in front of a store. Next to the store a group of canoes bobbed up and down in the water with the tide. Assuming that this is where Kaelyn wanted to go, I followed her into the store. Covering my nose as the smell of rotting fish filled my nostrils, I made my way over to the owner.

Perched on a stool behind a scarred discolored counter he sat, a hat full of hooks and lures on his head. Opening my mouth to ask him about the canoes, Kaelyn cut me off with, "Excuse me sir, my friend and I were wondering if you had a boat for sale?"

Whether the fisherman was surprised that Kaelyn was the one addressing him and not me, he did not show it. Leaning over the counter he replied in a low raspy voice, "I might but what do you two want with it? You my dear show every sign of having been raised here or in one of the other cities. Your companion is an Outsider and has been injured. The two of you could not even get a canoe out of the harbor."

Biting my tongue to keep the retort I had from being spoken, I waited. Kaelyn looking over at me winked with her right eye so that only I could see. Confused but willing to let her continue I listened as she in a somewhat bored dull voice replied, "I do not see how that is any of your concern. If by some chance we drown you get your boat back, and if we make it then you have a story about the ones who made it, to tell."

Unhappy with her comment he glared at her before snorting, "Four hundred."

"One hundred. As you said we will probably die. Besides with this siege your business must be suffering," Kaelyn shot back.

Rightly angered at her low offer he retorted, "Two fifty. Siege or not my crafts are worth something."

Smirking for the first time that I had ever seen, Kaelyn closed, "Two hundred. Your crafts will not be worth something if the city burns. Besides I do not see anyone else offering to buy one."

Worried that she had offered to low and that the man would refuse I was about to intervene when the trader consenting replied, "Fine, but be forewarned that the waters outside the wharves are deadly. But if you do somehow survive, please share the circumstances that we are in with anyone who can send help."

Directing his gaze at me he in a cold warning tone stated, "You best take care of her. Whichever of the cities she is from, she deserves the best treatment if she has given up her life and family for you."

Stunned by his comment neither Kaelyn or I were able to reply as a loud explosion shook the ground.