2 2

|William|

We were not suppose to get recognized. Or at least one of us weren't suppose to get recognized.

"Hey Marcus." Cassie called back to the person in the car. My heart sank as Clarke talked about some Marcus kid that hates me with a passion and is probably also in love with Cassie. I wanted to steal a look at the guy who hates my guts, but I was scared I'd get recognized.

"When did you get back in town?" Marcus asked. The longer he ignores my existence the better.

"Uh, yesterday." I saw Cassie rub her neck. Usually she only does that when she's either nervous or uncomfortable.

"I hears about your mom and I'm sorry. No one should have to be embarrassed like that on national television." He then says. Way to go dude, definitely a heartthrob I can tell. I can also tell that Cassie doesn't want to talk about her mother right now.

"Thanks Marcus." She said. "I should really get Ralph back to Ms. Rodriguez house."

Thank god. Come on Cassie, just a few steps to leave this guy.

"How about I give you and your friend a ride." Marcus suggested.

No. No. No.

"Ralph really needs the walk. Especially before the first snowfall." Cassie quickly explains. "Maybe another time."

"Who's your friend anyways?" I could sense him leaning, trying to get a good look at me.

"Ms. Rodriguez son. He's blind." Cassie quickly grabbed my elbow.

"I thought she only had one son?" He sounded suspicious.

"Nope she has two. He was at a special boarding school in South America." She lied.

"What's your name?" Now I know he was directly talking to me.

"He's really shy. Especially to people he doesn't know." Cassie quickly stated.

"I just want to know his name. I'd love to get to know Ms. Rodriguez other son."

"Kevin." I said in a deep voice. Obviously he knew something was up, but I could tell he knew he wasn't gonna get anywhere.

"Nice to meet you Kevin." Marcus smiles through his words.

"Nice seeing you Marcus." Cassie called before tugging me slightly.

"Nice seeing you again Cassie." I heard the windows roll up before the car pulled back onto the road.

I kept my hood on but took the sunglasses off once he turned the corner up the street.

"Let's get back home before he decides to figure out who I actually am." I gulp.

"Marcus isn't that type of guy." She defended.

"Yeah well people change. Especially when they love someone" I glare. keeping my head to the ground.

She didn't bother saying anything else. Turning the joyful dog walk into a silent nightmare.

◻◼◻◼◻◼◻

I laid down on Cassie's couch while she stood on the kitchen making herself a peanut butter sandwich.

My phone buzzed on the counter, and slowly I reached for it. Pressing it up against my ear.

"Hello?"

"William!" Angie voice came from the other line. "How's NorthBrooks."

"Quiet." I mumbled. Glancing over at Cassie who was definitely ease dropping but did hee best to hide it.

"Well I both have some good and bad news for the both of you." Somehow I figured this was my fathers idea.

"What's the good news?" I asked first. Only because Angie hates giving bad news first.

Cassie crossed her arms and I took it out of my way to put Angie on speaker so she also hears.

"Well the good news is, you don't have to remain locked up in that house for the entire week anymore."

Cassie and I exchanged looks.

"And the bad?" I asked.

"Well," she hesitated, "your father wants you to go on a Christmas walk downtown and have a fairytale version of a first kiss. Right in front of all the paparazzi."

"You mean they're gonna have pictures of us kissing?" Cassie asked.

"Oh hi Cassie." I could tell Angie was in an awkward spot. "Tyson feels like people are starting to think this relationship is fake and the kiss apparently will prove that it isn't."

"Thanks Angie." I said.

"Miss you guys!" She hung up the phone.

I looked over at Cassie who looked like she was contemplating over everything.

"Cassie." I said softly. Standing up.

She stopped contemplating life and looked up. Arms still crossed.

"It's just a kiss." I remind her. I've kissed dozens of girls. Well maybe like two girls. Only because of The Opposite though, I really had no other choice.

"I know." She sighed. "It's just, I've never kissed anyone before."

Oh my god, I never thought a first kiss was such a big deal.

"Really?" I held back my grin as I could tell this was a serious thing to Cassie.

"Yeah. I always wanted my first kiss to be something special. With someone I deeply cared about." She then says.

Ouch that hurt a tiny bit.

"Someone like Marcus?" I ask.

"No!" She said in defense. "Someone who actually understands me. Marcus is just a boy who thinks he's in love."

"Thinks he's in love?" I ask.

She pressed her palms to her temples. "I mean like he thinks we have this deep connection, which we don't by the way."

"If you want, I can quickly put my hand in front of my lips. So I don't take away your precious first kiss." I suggested.

"Then they'll know this entire thing was fake and that would put bad publicity on the both of us."

"How about just a peck? Pecks never count for first kisses anyways." I then suggest.

She rolled her eyes. "How about our lips never touch?"

"Huh?"

"Like this." She came up to me. "We lean in close enough that it looks like we're kissing."

She leaned in, but stopped right before our lips touched.

I felt my heart quicker by the second. "That can work."

"Okay," she pulled away with a smile.