Chapter 1

Caitlyn’s pov:

“Nerd.” Luke spat, pushing me into my locker, and then walking away laughing to his friends. I just stood there, clutching my books, fumbling to close my locker so that I could get to my next class. As soon as my locker was closed I spun round the corner and walked quickly to my class, hoping I wouldn’t bump into Luke again.

Luke has been bullying me for about 1 and a half years now. It was mainly because I was quite smart, but other than that, I don’t know what I ever could have done to him to make him be so horrible to me. Being called horrible names, being pushed around and having most people dislike me is something I’ve had to deal with for quite a while now. Luke is the worst, but his two closest friends, Calum and Michael, aren’t far off. Not only those three boys, but near enough everyone else at my school doesn’t like me.

Too consumed in my thoughts, I bumped into something hard. At first I was really embarrassed, thinking that I walked into a wall, but when I looked up from the floor, I saw Ashton grinning at me.

“You know,” he started, bending down to help me pick up my books, “you really should stop looking at the floor when you’re walking, I don’t know how many times you’ve bumped into me while you’re walking.” He finished with a laugh and we both stood back up, and he passed me my books.

“Sorry, I was just thinking I guess.” I told him.

“You think too much.” He replied, a small smile on his lips, as he span round and walked with me to my next class, even though his was in the opposite direction.

Ashton was probably my only friend, but even then we didn’t hang around with each other at school. Just like he said, I’m always bumping into him, but it doesn’t really matter, he doesn’t care. Ashton was always so nice, we had only just met about 3 months ago, mainly because we were assigned as partners for an English assessment, and even then he was really nice. We had spoken since then but not that much, he had other friends, and I, well I didn’t.

“I agree with that.” I said, and we both started laughing. “Why are you walking this way anyway?” I continued, “Your class is the other way.”

“Well we haven’t spoke for a while, and it’s quite early, so I thought I’d walk you to class.” He said, looking at me with a smile.

I smiled back at him, and moved a bit of hair that had fallen onto my face and tucked it behind my ear.

“Thanks.” I said, smiling at him.

He just shrugged and smiled, and we got to my maths class.

“So, are you doing anything tomorrow?” he asked me, pushing his hair up from his head. I forgot it was Saturday tomorrow, finally two days away from Luke.

“No, I’m probably just going to stay in.” I told him, nodding my head as if to clarify it. “What about you, are you doing anything?” I asked.

“I’m not doing anything either, do you want to do something?” he asked me, just as the bell for the end of lunch, signalling our last lesson of the day, went off.

“Well I better go to my next lesson.” He told me, turning his head to look at the rush of people crowding into the halls. “I’ll text you later about tomorrow, yeah?” he said.

“Yeah, okay.” I said, smiling at him, “see you later then." I said. We both smiled at each other, and I watched as he walked away, until I couldn’t see him in the crowd of people anymore.

More people began to form outside my maths class, until our teacher, Mr Smith, opened the door and called our class inside.

_____________

An hour later, the bell went off, and everyone started swinging their bags over their shoulders, already walking to the door.

“Remember, we have homework due for next week!” Mr Smith reminded us, and then most of the class was already out the door.

Just as I was reaching for the door handle, Mr Smith called my name. I turned back around and walked over to his desk, before saying, “Yes sir?”

“I was just wondering if you were still interested in being a maths tutor. I mean, you’re top in the class; you pretty much have these exams covered. I just think that people who aren’t doing as good in maths should be assigned a tutor, and I know you said you would be a few weeks ago, I just wanted to know if you were still interested?” he asked me.

“Of course, yeah, I’d love to help out! When would I start?” I asked him.

“When I’ve found someone for you to tutor. I’ve already found tutors for quite a few people, but there are some who still need tutors, so I’ll get back to you with that next week.” He replied, dropping his pen onto his desk.

“Okay, thank you sir.” I said, re-adjusting my bag on my shoulder.

“Okay Caitlyn, see you next week!” he said, nodding his head.

“Bye sir!” I said, opening the door and walking quickly to my locker.

Most of the time, Luke and his friends are always out of school early, and it had been a good 5 or 10 minutes that I was talking to Mr Smith, so hopefully I  would be lucky and wouldn’t bump into Luke. I started humming a song to calm myself just in case I did bump into Luke until I reached my locker, and typed in the code, pulling my books out and then closing my locker. I pulled my bag from my shoulder and opened it to put my books inside, when suddenly; my books were pushed to the floor. I slowly looked up, only to see Luke smirking down at me.