| 8 |

There had always been a quote that stuck with Jin like cockle burrs on his favourite sweater.

It was, 'one of the hardest things you will ever have to do is grieve the loss of a person who is still alive'.

Jin had never understood that quote until now.

Not until this very moment, not until his friends, his saviours marched like soldiers bracing themselves for a storm, their heads hung low and their weapons held high.

How brave, he had thought, to do something so dauntingly sinister. Something so foolish, so risky for something as paltry as food.

But it wasn't just that, was it?

Us. He mused so frustratedly. They were doing it for us.

To ensure all were kept in good health, to keep those whose vision of the world had not yet shivered from witnessing the horrors that lay just outside the barred windows safe.

Jin swallowed the lump in his throat. They were doing it for us.

But as quick as his sentimental thoughts had come, they disintegrated into venom, into anger and spite.

Whoever said you could be so gallant? He spat, the words bouncing around in his mind like the haunting chime of a bell. Whoever said you could be so witless?

Whoever said we wanted this?

He watched, swirling eyes red with tears, as Namjoon pulled open the door.

He stared at the sea of clouds gathering and roiling overhead, darkening into a thick charcoal that screamed of ill omen.

Whoever said you must do this?

Though, no matter how loudly he screamed in his mind, not a word left his lips. Not a twitch broke their seal, not a roll of his tongue persuaded his stubbornness.

Yoongi and Namjoon knew worst of all what it was like beyond those chainlink fences, what lay awaiting them in both plain air and shadow.

And yet they still chose to fight on.

But it was Jungkook and Hoseok he was unsure of. He internally questioned how they would cope in a place Jin's own fear kept him from exploring, in a place infested and overturned with rotting corpses.

As they sauntered out of the now unblocked door, Jin was half-expecting a screeching Hoseok to come sprinting back in, claiming he was too scared to march on.

But he didn't.

Like all the rest, a posse of proud, fearless soldiers, he marched, shoulder's fearfully tensed and yet fearlessly squared.

Jungkook, too, trudged onward as if he were planted straight in the centre of no man's land.

But it was his eyes that sold him. They were gleaming with excitement despite the danger.

Or because of it.

A mirthless scoff broke the security of his lips.

Brave, he had called it.

Jin wasn't so sure now.

From the moment the members took their first step into the unknown, the four were forced to a stop.

As Namjoon pointed a grubby finger in Jungkook's direction and demanded he recite the plan to the others whilst he slipped away, Hoseok breathed in the outside atmosphere.