Chapter Eighteen|| Controlling

{Aurora's POV}

We rushed into the cells and halted when men were laying around looking like they had been slaughtered.

"Oh my goddess." I mumbled as Jackson took a hesitant step forward.

The angered expression held made me stay a couple steps behind.

"You've got to be kidding me!" He yelled punching a hole into the concrete wall beside him causing me to flinch.

"Maverick's gone." he said turing to face me.

"Forget Maverick right now, Jackson. Look at your men." I said stepping over a body.

He rubbed his hands over his face and walked back over to me.

"Come on, you don't need to see this." He said walking me back towards the entrance.

"What or better yet, who did that?" I asked as we walked back out.

I watched as Jackson's eyes glazed over meaning he was mind-linking. After a minute he blinked a couple times and looked back at me.

"Sorry, I had to tell my beta to go to the house and stay with Isabella for safety." He said and stopped turing to face me.

We stood feet from the cells and he glanced back uncertain.

"As for what did this. We definitely have a mole. Think about it... someone tipped off the hunters we were coming early during battle and they were lined up waiting. Who is that much of a bastard to betray us?" He said lowly.

"You still think they're here?" I asked and he nodded.

"Don't trust anyone." He told me sternly and with that turned and headed back towards the house.

Those poor men.

***

I watched as Zander and Jackson whispered to each other angrily from the other room.

Looking down at Isabella's still form a frown crept its way onto my face.

"Who did this to you and why?" I asked out into the air.

Her chest rose and fell slowly. The doctor said she would be sleeping for a bit due to the medicine he gave her. She has cuts and bruises. Her blonde hair was matted to her head with dried blood. She's been through hell and back.

"Fine." I heard Jackson say sharply and watched as he walked over.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Other than the obvious... I told Zander to bring in everyone who knew about Maverick being in the cells and that includes his brother. I doubt he is the mole but we have to take every chance we get." He stressed and I nodded.

"Understandable." I told him and he sighed.

"I wish I didn't have to though. His brother helps with the pack fighters here. He helped put Maverick in the cells." I laid my hand on Jackson's shoulder as he stared down at Isabella.

"What's really on your mind?" I asked knowing something was bothering him.

"How did I not know? Im the alpha of intelligence! I should have known the minute he entered my office. I should have known not to leave him unattended in the cell like that."

"Jackson, you can't beat yourself up over this. Things happen and sometimes we won't know the outcome. You're not a god. You're an alpha." I countered and he just shook his head folding his arms.

I was about to say something when Isabella darted up breathing harshly. I jumped back a step looking at her with wide eyes.

"W-where am I?" She asked and Jackson took a step towards her outstretching his arms with caution.