Caught

No sooner had those words reached his part of the brain that was responsible for comprehension, an ear-splitting roar sounded from down the corridor.

Severus spun around, immediately spotting the large, black shadow that was lurking in the corner, only a stone's throw away from where they stood.

"Lift your wand," he ordered in a sharp whisper.

But the girl didn't seem to hear him. She stared at the creature that was threateningly baring its teeth and did not move.

"Your wand!" Professor Snape tried again, this time with more urgency. "Aim!"

Yet, it was no use. She simply didn't follow his command. It was as if someone had cast the Petrificus Totalus curse.

"For Merlin's sake, girl!" he snapped, and slowly, very carefully, backed up until he was right behind her. One wrong, sudden move, he knew would trigger an attack. His hand smoothly slid over hers, in which she was holding her wand. For a split second he was amazed at the fact that her hand was so petite, so much smaller than his that his fingers covered it entirely. If he hadn't known any better, he would have almost been convinced that Ms. Flowers was trembling even more, now that he was guiding her wand. But of course, he did know better and shrugged that absurd observation off, filing it away under the same category as his earlier puzzling emotion.

"Say it," he murmured into her ear. "The spell! Say it! It won't do if I cast it for you."

Severus wasn't sure if she really said this, since her voice was nothing more than a breath, but he could have sworn he perceived an "I can't".

He realized his tactics weren't working, so he tried a different approach. Still enveloping her cold, shaking hand with his, he assured her, "I'm right here. Nothing will happen to you, I promise. You'll be safe."

Her shoulders lightly leaned against his chest as if she was seeking protection from him, and before his brain even had the chance to register what his body was doing, the fingers of his free hand wrapped ever so slightly around the girl's perfectly curved waist.

Was that a soft gasp he heard?

Immediately, he withdrew both his hands and took another step back, creating a safe distance between their bodies.

"Egredio," he reminded her sternly, only too eager to redirect both their attention to the task that had to be dealt with.

This time, she obeyed. "Egredio."

A bright flash of light shot out of the tip of her wand ... and dissolved just before it could reach the animal, which was all but thrilled.

This was most curious, Professor Snape had to admit. It indeed wasn't her fault. She had been right. Well, this one time, anyway. Why did the spell not work?

He didn't have time to think about it, since, with a huge jump, the creature knocked him down to the ground, four frighteningly large paws clawing into his robe as it cowered on top of him. The white of its teeth stood in stark contrast to the gloomy surroundings, emphasizing their disturbing size.

"No!" his student screamed in panic, and with a dull thud, her wand hit the floor.

She didn't just drop her wand? Severus could not believe this girl's stupidity. If he was going to survive this, he would see to it that she'd be resorted. Slytherin was definitely not the right House for her.

"Leave him alone!" she yelled hysterically as the black panther was assessing its prey. "Don't hurt him! Please!"

Then, something happened that neither the professor nor the student had expected. The animal seemed to relax, and instead of a growl or roar, it began to purr.