XI • Underground

"I thought recruits weren't allowed down here." Daphne felt a thrill of excitement run through her, but kept her rule abiding facade externally intact.

"Perk of hanging around us." Arat smiled slyly, and stopped at a grey door at the end of the long underground tunnel. She rapped three times and the door cracked open, revealing a heavy set man looking to be in his mid twenties.

"Ay, 'rat," he mumbled through a mouthful of burger.

Arat smirked. "Enjoying the venison?" Dinner had been heaven that day, and it seemed the higher ranked Saviors were enjoying extra late night feasting.

"Daphne, this is Fat Joey," Paula said, and the blonde smiled.

He didn't seem put off by the moniker, only grinned as he swallowed his mouthful, extending his hand. They shook, and there was an uproar of cheers from the far corner. She heard a wet smack, then more yelling, and Daphne realized there was a fight.

"You guys have a fight club?" she asked, eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Got to stay in tip top somehow." Arat led the way to the group, and a few bodies parted for her, revealing Simon and another Savior Daphne hadn't met.

The wiry mustached man was clearly winning, and she found herself surprised at his prowess. The fight was short lived, ending after Simon's well placed kick to his opponent's stomach.

"It's first to three hits." Paula leaned over to explain. "We all still need to be functional in the morning."

"On special occasions we get to go all out," Arat said, as Simon waved her forward.

He grinned darkly as the cinnamon skinned woman entered the circle. "Missed you, little girl."

Daphne watched carefully, enthralled by the graceful movements of the pair as they attempted to land blows on one another. They seemed oblivious to the screaming crowd, locked in a dance that they clearly knew the steps to.

Arat took first blood, double feinting and landing a fist on Simon's cheek, his face snapping to the side. He smiled wildly as he lunged for her.

"Is this foreplay?" Daphne asked in Paula's ear, and the redhead barked a laugh. It was answer enough for the blonde and she smirked at the powerful duo.

Part of Daphne wanted to inquire about participating, but she wasn't sure she wanted to showcase her skills in this forum. She was still just the observer, gathering information and building the foundation of a reputation.

She was saving herself for Negan.

Simon won the round, and Arat was a good sport about it, leaping on him piggyback style and pointing to the table of burgers. He ran there, eliciting a laugh from her, and Daphne watched with wonder.

Two warriors, allowed such an almost normal flirtation in the apocalypse.

The blonde felt a tingle and almost visibly shivered, sweeping her eyes across the crowd until she found the source of a gaze boring a hole in her head. Dwight scowled, or as much as he could scowl with a melted face.

Daphne smiled brightly at him, injecting as much happiness and warmth as she could into the expression.

He looked disgusted and turned away to speak to another Savior. She mentally pumped a fist. Kill him with kindness.

Paula led her to one of the tall tables off to the side, where Arat happily munched on a burger with two men Daphne recognized from the hunting party. One of them offered a plate of meat, and she accepted one, marveling at the smell of venison between two freshly made bun halves.

They chattered about a place called the Hilltop, led by some putz named Gregory that seemed to be a joke amongst the Saviors. Paula mentioned that her crew was to take the next outpost rotation near there in a few weeks, and was looking forward to Molly snarking the man.

Daphne noticed Dwight slipping out a little while later, and turned to Paula.

"I'm going to go have a cig and crash," she said. "Lots of clothing repairs tomorrow, thanks to some hunting party." She winked at Arat and the group shared a laugh. "Nice to meet you all." Pleasantries exchanged, she excused herself and as soon as she was out the door, she spotted Dwight turning left at the end of the hallway.

She stealthily gave chase, slipping her phone from her pocket.