vii. red flag

wendy carmichael and steve harrington walked through the doors of their school together, deep in conversation.
"you wanna come over tonight? i rented jaws. we can eat popcorn and candy." steve questioned.

wendy sighed and glanced at steve.
"i wish i could, steve, but i have plans tonight." wendy answered.

"a family game night does not count as plans, wen." steve teased.
"funny, but i meant actual plans. i have a date." wendy revealed.

steve stopped in his tracks, shocked that wendy had a date. wendy never said yes to any guy that asked her out. for a brief month, he thought that she wasn't into guys. wendy stopped as well, looking at steve.

"you? winifred carmichael? have a date? with who? he must be a special guy." steve asked.
"billy hargrove." wendy stated.

steve rolled his eyes at the name.
"are you serious? you're going on a date with billy? he's a dick, wendy." steve commented.
"i know he is, but he's changing." she responded, smiling as she thought about billy.

steve opened the door to the classroom, letting wendy walk through first.
"you deserve better." steve said. wendy looked at him in annoyance. she hated that phrase.
"really? you know how much i hate that." she groaned.

"shit, i'm sorry, wendy." steve sighed.

when steve and wendy were in middle school, they went to the snowball dance. wendy knew that she had feelings for steve, and her friends at the time told her that she should let steve know how she felt.

during a song that no one really cared about, thirteen year old wendy went up to steve harrington and told him that she liked him. steve, however, did not like wendy back. he let her down gently, or so he thought.

"i'm sorry, wendy. i don't think i like you. i think we're better as friends. you deserve better, you deserve someone who likes you back." thirteen year old steve harrington told wendy.

the sound of the bell snapped wendy out of her memories.
"i have to go. we're going to talk more later about this billy thing!" steve said as he walked out of wendy's first period to try and get to his own on time.

|||

wendy carmichael collected all of her homework out of her locker, putting it in her backpack.

"wendy! wendy, wait up!" steve yelled out, running up to his friend. wendy turned around, waiting for steve to catch up.

"i have something to tell you." steve said and they began to walk to her car.
"what is it, steve?" wendy questioned, walking across the parking lot.

in the distance, she saw her sister walking towards her car as well.

"look, i don't care that you're going out on a date with billy, but don't have sex with him, all right? he's not worth it. i think he's planning on playing you, wendy." steve warned his best friend.

"it's really none of your business, steve." wendy commented.
"okay, we were in the showers and he basically said that i should get over nancy because, and i quote, there are plenty of bitches in the sea, and that he'd make sure to leave me some." steve added.

wendy furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at steve. she couldn't believe that billy would say that.
"please be careful, wendy." steve warned his best friend.