21 | Setting You Free

T W E N T Y   O N E

~Change the world with your smile but don't let the world change your smile.~

a d e l i n

"We need to talk, Adelin." Danny's voice makes me immediately detangle from Caleb.

I bite the inside of my cheek, finding Daniel watching Caleb tensely, part of me surprised at his expression holding no anger. The only giveaway to there being any kind of tension is the stiffness in his demeanour. 

I also don't fail to notice the rest of the gang standing behind Danny, gracing a spectrum of emotions ranging from curiosity to worry.

The girls face me with small encouraging smiles, the boys with understanding eyes.

On the other hand, Caleb doesn't break his staring contest with Daniel, both of them standing mutely looking a lot like they're conversing telepathically.

Caleb is the first to break the staredown, turning to me, our eyes meeting for a few brief seconds.

Tearing my gaze away from Caleb, I nod, exiting the room with Danny following behind me, both of us wordlessly step outside into the fresh but freezing breeze of my backyard.

I notice that the sun still hasn't fully occupied the horizon, indicating that we're in the in the early hours of the day.

It shines softly from its hiding spot, providing no source of warmth for my bare arms against the cold winds. And as if on cue, I let out a loud sneeze, my teeth starting to chatter soon after.

Danny, who had been silently observing me with calculating eyes, springs to action. His eyes morphing into rich shades of silver as he takes off his own sweater and drapes it over my shoulders making sure to tightly wrap it around my torso.

I meet his eyes, eyes which were grey, not a dull, bland grey like that of concrete or stone. They were the grey of the last smokes of a fire, swirling up in the breeze and mixing with beautiful strokes of sliver and specks of ebony.

I had always admired these gorgeous orbs-still do-but I've come to find myself yearning the sight of gold flecked burnt amber ones instead.

Inhaling and exhaling, I try to compose myself for what I know is to come "Go on, Danny." I simply request, willing myself to keep looking at the charming face waiting patiently for me.

He lets out a tired breath, slumping his broad shoulders just for a minute as his fingers come up to pinch the bridge of his nose.

My insides knot with gut wrenching guilt at the sight and when he looks back at me with a small smile, I resist the urge to flee.

"Do you like him Angel?" He asks in a soft humble voice making my head snap towrards him. That name, that simple, sweet name and that honest tone make me want to drown in shame for some reason.

He's too good for me. Always was. And always will be.

I open and close my mouth like a fish, fiddling with my fingers, trying to put my feeling in words. To clarify and mend this mess.

"Danny, I think-" I start but all in vain, nothing but a maximum of three words repeat on. I throw my hands up in frustration, grinding my teeth as I fight back tears.

What is wrong with me

My mind is a frenzy of words, words which just don't seem to slip off my tongue. Sniffing, I silently curse my flu for what feels like the tenth time this day. Soft, gentle hands envelope mine.