Chapter Eight: Booty shorts

I snatched up that water hose faster than Katniss Everdeen could grab a bow. Lucas leaned against the counter, popping apples into his mouth with his back turned to me. Perfect. Aiming carefully, I held the nozzle arm’s length away and pressed down on the trigger.

A spray of water cascaded through the air. Lucas jumped as the water hit him, dropping the apples to the floor and shuddering. He let out a squeak and I laughed.

“What the--”

“That’s what you get for stealing my apples, bastard!” I yelled. I bent my knees, laughing as I shot the water up and down, soaking Lucas’s shirt. He held his hands out in front of him and tried to duck under the table. Much to my surprise, he did a ninja roll and came charging after me.

Shit.

“Ahh!” I screamed as Lucas body slammed me, yanking the nozzle from my hands. He smiled wickedly and aimed for me. I held up my hands like I was on a cop show and felt my eyes widen.

“Lucas, this shirt is new, please don’t--” I pleaded. Lucas smirked.

“Uh-huh sure,” he said. His smile was growing more Cheshire by the moment and it was enough to make my stomach roll. Part of me wanted to punch him in the face. Part of me wanted to beg and plead.

“Please!” I whined. I was already shivering, the room was that cold. Watching the snow swirl around outside, I could only imagine how freezing I would be if I got soaked.

“Hmmm….. No,” chuckled Lucas.

Desperate times called for desperate measures.

“Come on, I’ll-I’ll… I’ll let you have the couch tonight!” I said. Lucas cocked his head to the side and let the nozzle fall with his arm.

“Really?” he asked. I let my arms down and nodded.

“Really,” I confirmed. He crossed his arms and nodded with an approving smirk.

“Well in that case,” Lucas made to put the nozzle back, but suddenly whipped around and sprayed water all over me.

“LUCAS!”

***

Surprising fun fact. The girl’s locker room smells like sweat long after school has been out. No joke. As I wandered down the rows of rusty, cream-colored lockers, the sharp tang of body odor and hairspray still filled the air.

I wandered to the big bin of borrow clothes that usually cost a dollar. It was the only clothing available, save for my smelly gym uniform, and it would have to do. I plucked out a small shirt and a matching pair of shorts.

The sight in the mirror was horrifying. Little booty shorts hugged my butt, the band of my Hello Kitty underwear peeking over the top. The shirt had a surprisingly low cut neckline and my belly button was clearly visible. So what did I learn?

I was no longer a size “small.”

Sighing in disdain, I paraded back to the clothing bin, bending down to sort through the mounds of shirts with last names written on the backs in Sharpie. As I was trying to decide between the names “Thrush” and “Power” I heard the door squeak open behind me.

“Hello? Natalie, are you--”

“Oh my gosh get out!”

“Are you naked?”

“Yes!”

“…. I think your lying.”

“Why the hell would I be lying?”

“Because I can see you right now.”

Twisting around I found Lucas, leaning against the doorframe of the girl’s locker room with a smirk smudged on his face.

And of course, he decided that a shirt was not necessary.

“Put a shirt on,” I growled, tossing one of the girl’s shirts at him. He chuckled.

“I knew you would say that,” he said, tossing the shirt back in the bin. He lifted a gray v-neck eyelevel, shaking it in the air like someone trying to tempt a dog into playing fetch. As he proceeded to pull the boy’s shirt over his head, I took a moment to give his body a once over.

And I hate to admit it, but I was not completely, totally, and irreversibly disgusted. My stomach didn’t do a 360 and my gag reflex didn’t go into overdrive. I mean, that was my predicted outcome. But surprisingly, I felt no disgust. Fine, I’ll just say it.

Lucas was hot.

The once skinny boy I met in grade school filled out to become an Abercrombie model worthy teen. Seriously, that’s just not fair. The kid played more video games than anyone I knew, and last time I checked, Nintendo didn’t give out free weight sets with every Xbox sold.

I looked away and rolled my eyes, because fates a bitch and decided that a jerk like Lucas needed to be blessed with good lucks. Oh well. He could have brawns, I still had brains.

“… And really, you’re one to talk,” continued Lucas. Oh, he was speaking to me? My bad. “Seriously, nice booty shorts.” To this, I decided the most mature and appropriate response would be to stick out my tongue.

“It’s not my fault I misjudged my size. Anyways, don’t get too comfortable with the sight,” I declared, snatching up the largest pair of basketball shorts I could find “I’m getting changed.” I sauntered away, trying to refrain from sticking my nose in the air. I went to the nearest bathroom stall and slammed it shut behind me. Then a thought occurred to me.

“No peeking!” I yelled over the door. I heard Lucas snicker.

“No worries,” he replied.

A/N-- Hey guys! So, first things first. Thank you all a thousand times over for all of the votes and reads. You guys are amazing! I've never had a story so popular before on either fanfiction or quizilla, so this is kind of a big thing for me. I'm also surprised how much you guys love Natalie. I kind of tried to make her the ultimate nerd, and as the story goes on there will be more stuff about her past and home life. I've also been considering maybe (big maybe) trying to update this once a day. I mean, hello, it's summer and I have no life! Just keep up the votes and--

Simon: Oh my gosh, shut up, they don't want to hear you rant!

A/N: Simon! Get your ass back on fanfiction and leave my rants alone!

<3<3