34 - Thorns

Shortly after my mother's visit, I found myself stuck with another unwanted visitor that same night. When George told me that my sister Rose was downstairs in the lobby, I had made mental note to move. This condo is no longer a haven for me.

"What are you doing here Rose?"

                I had just dealt with Ivy Lind just hours ago so did not care to maintain my politeness toward another visitor. On another note, both Ivy and Rose Lind should have been in New York. Rose has several upcoming symphony concert performances in New York City. Why is she in New Haven?

"Dad's birthday is coming up..." Rose said carefully. "I planned on having it in New Haven this year... You should come celebrate with us"

                Why New Haven? Why this year? Every year, my sister would host father's birthday celebration – each year would be grander than the next. Last year, I heard she had hosted it in London. Needless to say, I never went – or rather, I was never invited. But suddenly, the hostess herself went out of her way to invite me.

"Why the sudden invitation, Rose?"

"Calla, you never go..."

"I was never invited" I corrected her.

                Rose flinched like I slapped her. I knew my tone was cold and harsh, but after our mother's visit, I didn't care to hold back.

"What do you want Rose?" I asked her sharply even know I already knew the answer. "Just tell me honestly"

                Rose was quiet, unable to bring herself to speak.

"It doesn't matter if I go or not. No one would notice. Father would not notice"

                Rose looked at my with pain eyes. I looked straight back at her with unwavering eyes.

"Do you hate us?"

                Her question made me smile – an empty, cold smile.

"I have to care to hate"

"Calla" Rose's eyes were filled with sorrow. "I know what I did was wrong... I'm trying to amend_"

"Why?" I cut her off. "Why are you trying to amend?"

"Calla_ I_"

"Rose" I stopped her, wanting her to truly hear me. "Father and mother, they belong to you. I don't need them. I haven't needed them for a long time now..."

                Tears formed behind Rose's eyes, but she held her emotion in check.

"Don't force yourself. Don't force them. Don't force me"

"But we're a family..."

"Sharing the same blood does not make us family"

                Rose was stunned with my relentless, cold words.

"Calla... If I could... If I could..." Rose tried to speak through her trembling voice. "If I could go back, I wouldn't have taken them. If I could go back, I wouldn't have taken him."

                It is all too late.

"I know how painful it was for you... I know how lonely it was..."

                Painful and alone, those feelings had once driven me to death.

"Calla" Rose looked at me with desolated eyes. "It's suffocating..."

                The tears in Rose's eyes finally fell, revealing the sorrow deep within her.